Friday, February 02, 2007

Bees about - 10C+ - Fish & Chip Day

Picture 1 is an attempt to get whiter snowdrops. Some people are always moaning. And thanks Jill for saying you liked the nice bright sunrise. I shall continue to publish 'gaudy' pictures even if it means buying Bungus a pair of sunglasses. It's probably why Y and I also like Jack Vettriano, whose work has been compare to 'painting by numbers'. Shamefacedly I must admit that I used to quite like them too. So Bungus will not really take the fact that I also like most of his pictures as any sort of compliment.

Anyway, back to Snowdrops and Aconite. I don't think there was in fact any sort of green colour cast on yesterday's. It was quite early and there was a heavy dew and, with the flowers being tight closed I think they picked up on the surrounding greens.

Picture 2 shows a worker busily scouring an aconite for sustenance. Now, I do know from my bee-keeping days that the crucial temperature for them to be up and about is 56F (just over 12C) so noon today must have been warmer than google told me.

To yesterday's comment box. For Jill. Scotch-bonnets are probably the hottest of hot chilli peppers. So called because they resemble tiny scotch-bonnets slightly smaller than a table-tennis ball. If you ever use one, whatever you do don't cut it up and then touch any body part which could be called sensitive. And thanks for the long-tailed tit confirmation. The Wren Safari has not yet started, but I like a challenge.

And thanks to Pete for the 'phrases-thesaurus' link, click here if anyone else would like it. I have boomarked it, and the explanation of 'heard on the grapevine' makes sense. Isn't there such a lot still to be learned? And you realise at my time of life that you should have crammed more 'in' when younger. It becomes a matter of channel-capacity and I've decided to give brain-surgery and Formula 1 motor-racing a miss.

A good evening at the camera club yesterday and there were, as expected, only 6 entrants for the slide-photographer-of-the-year competition. However, as each entrant had to submit 4 slides on different themes the judging took quite a while. I was asked to form a third of the judging panel and I quite enjoyed it. I had plenty of 'chats' and didn't rush away till around 10pm. Thursdays work out pretty well at the moment, Y enjoys her grannying at Burton Joyce and then the chance to recoup at her own pace in the evening while I'm out gadding about.

....Sleep tight !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I had Friday fish and chips as well.
I went down to The Big Fish on the A614 Ollerton Roundabout and had a lovely slab of halibut, the size and shape of a housebrick, cooked, just barely enough, in a thin crispy batter (with mushy peas, chips, bread & butter and a pot of tea). £10 exactly; rather expansive but worth it. Only complaint - £2 worth of unwanted salad filling half the plate.

Lovely snowdrops; nice contrast. That’s the way to do it (for me). I am sure you are right that the green cast was reflective.
That bee on pic 2 should never be out at this time of year. I'll bet he wanted an extra blanket last night

I like your neat riposte; I deserve it. Put another notch on your metaphorical gun butt.
But, re Jack Vettriano: I wish I knew a gallery owner/critic who considered my work a tenth as good (and could obtain the appropriate rewards).
Criticism is always comparative (there were those who complained that Freddie Capel of Chesterfield FC (1950s) had no right foot - and some even said the same about Ferenc Puskas).
I think JV is a skilled craftsman and that his paintings are amusing, even witty, well composed (possibly derivative) and cleverly coloured. On the other hand, I think they are somewhat mechanical and, unlike, say, ‘The Scream’ or ’Guernica’, they tend to impress me less the more I see of them.

Your chilli pepper advice is sound. It is bad enough if you just accidentally rub your eyes having only washed your hands without soap. Heaven forfend you don’t rinse them at all and decide you need …

You are right, too, that the human computer has its limits.
I have always tried to avoid learning anything about how things work beyond the simplest necessities. (I hated Building Construction – apart, that is, from the allied subjects of Acoustics, Heating & Ventilation, Sewerage Design and Theory of Structures which really was civil/structural engineering and involved applied maths).
It is fear. Which is why I do not want a more complicated camera than the one I have.
And I have always refused to learn numbers, although a few stick by appeal, eg: Evans Concrete, Leabrooks 301 (1947); Betty Boucker, 219 Norrington Road, Northfield, Birmingham, (1949) or frequent use (my mother’s Co-Op number (1936); my Identity Card number (1939) and my army number (1957).