Thursday, February 01, 2007

Burton Joyce - Camera Club - 12C

Yesterday's sunrise. Today's wasn't quite as spectacular. And I have 'panorama-ised' it rather than crop a letterbox from a normal shot. This morning was misty but I thought "I can't do another misty-morning shot". So, I took these Snowdrops and Aconite instead.

It is as if they are standing waiting for the sun to dry out the dew so they an open. I really wish I could get down on my hands and knees to capture a low-level picture. It would be possible I suppose just to hold the camera down and point it in roughly the right direction and then see what I'd got. With digital, of course, it makes no difference if I needed to take a dozen shots before I'm satisfied.

After delivering Y to the tram, for the start of her Burton Joyce day journey, I came straight home and started on loads of little tasks. Some computer, some photo, some writing . And then this afternoon I had an extremely satisfactory nap. One of my alloted jobs is "find out the date of Jill's birthday". Y knows when it is roughly because it is all to do with wedding days and things which ladies find logical, but she needs the actual date. I can't think of any other method than asking "Jill - when is your birthday?" An e-mail would be best, I don't expect you to 'blog' it !

Since I captured a picture (I think) of a long-tailed tit, and have 'set my sights' so to speak, on a wren - I haven't even seen one. Perhaps they have heard on the grapevine that I am on a Wren Safari. Wherever did 'heard on the grapevine' come from I wonder?

TJ gave us some special sausages to try "Mersajus" or something. Similar to chorizo she said and I tried two for lunch. They were ghastly! Perhaps it was wrong to grill them - but all this strong smelling orange/brown fatty liquid came out. We are both big fans of spicy continental sausage, and strangely enough, so are some of our little people. But these I can't recommend.

I'm looking forward to Camera Club tonight. It is the 'Slide Photographer of The Year' competition. But in this digital age very few entrants are expected. So we are all taking a few pictures for general discussion, which will be fun.

....Catch you tomorrow.............

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another lovely day full of global warming
But, unfortunately, not the best if you are looking for comfort and praise (it could be my choler that is too tight).

I don’t think you would expect ME to enthuse about your sunrise photo. I have seen many amazing sunrises and sunsets but never one so GAUDY as this. It exerts some of the fascination of certain rainforest snakes and frogs, in that it looks artificial and a bit scary. It brings to mind prints of paintings to be found on the corridor walls of chain hotels.
I expect to be in a minority – everyone else will adore it and it will win prizes in competition.

And, perhaps because of the contrast, I am disappointed in the snowdrop photo. The aconites are fine in a non-spectacular way (I think I would crop to the bottom right hand quarter only). I like my snowdrops glowing white, not green. I think a random photo of the type you suggest might well be more satisfactory. Give it a dose of serendipity.

I think you must be approaching the "Mersajus" sausages incorrectly. I find one ounce of chorizo, cut small, in a tin of baked beans, is quite enough to adda bit of interest! To treat them as British sausages (or German) is a bit like serving a quarter pound of Scotch Bonnets as a portion of veg, or having a sandwich of thickly spread English mustard!
I have no doubt that the fat to which you object is nothing more sinister than good pork dripping coloured and flavoured with paprika.
I must say that I do not share your enthusiasm for salamis and, in particular, I think peperami is a foul concoction devised to ruin pizza! Little Jessica has loved it since she was six.

No doubt Friday's blog will be full of stuff with which I can agree and about which I can enthuse.

Anonymous said...

Click on this site
http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/heard-it-through-the-grapevine.html
to find the reason behind the saying Heard it Through the Grapevine.

Anonymous said...

What on earth are Scotch Bonnets? Tam 'o shanters?

I don't like chorizo or anything very spicey or peppery, ad agree with you about pepperami. We like Tescos finest English pork sausages, with nothing added.....

Definitely a long-tailed tit, some are more pinkish than others, and it may vary with the time of year?

Of course I like the sunset - can't have too much colour this time of the year - and the spiral staircase.

Good luck on the wren safari.....