Thursday, February 08, 2007

Snow as forecast - Melted - Snowing again

A familiar scene to you all but I wanted to see if I could capture the falling snowflakes. You can just see them against the dark background of the tree-trunk. It had snowed in the night but only a light dusting and it started seriously around 8.30am and Y decided to give Burton Joyce a miss. Then it more or less melted and has now (4.45pm) begun again. Some lovely snow-scenes from elsewhere in the country have been on the TV.

But no Central Trains delays announced yet. The overnight snow will influence Y's trip to London tomorrow but she will be very disappointed if she can't go.

Picture 2 is The White Swan at Drakeholes which Bungus tells me is all that is left of the hamlet. I sent him a link to the info. about it being a roman station, which even he won't remember. The photo appeals very much to my sense of 'artistic' construction particularly with that diagonal of the steps/handrail leading the eye to the building which is nicely placed with its central point within the golden-section.

If it was my picture I would 'clone out' those bits of strag foliage in the top corners. It has just occured to me to wonder when he took the picture because things seem still to be in leaf ?

Y has been on catering duty today and for lunch she did a super meat & onion pie with mashed potatoes, carrots and brussells. Delicious ! And sandwiches for tea to look forward to. Manxislander says that sometimes the food desciptions make him feel hungry and suggests I incorporate a 'favourite recipe' page in the blog. Thanks for the compliment Pete but TJ finds mentioning what we have eaten very boring anway - so I'd better not.

It's camera club tonight and, as it is only a mile and a half up a main road which has been clear all day, I'm not going to be disuaded by the weather.

.... Catch you tomorrow. Weather permitting.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very little snow in Ollerton (it was settling at 8.00 but I had to go to Worksop later and there was none on the roads and very little in surrounding areas). Ralph loved the couple of inches we walked in this morning. No sign of further falls and for the first time in several days the birds' water thawed.

The picture of The White Swan at Drakeholes was taken yesterday. And yes, the hedge could do with a trim!

I see no good reason for NOT including potentially interesting recipes. Given clear demarcation, no individual would be compelled to read those which might bore them! And, as with photos, you could possibly consider occasional discreet guest items?

Anonymous said...

We had quite thick snow this morning, and it went on snowing until about 11.00, when it turned to rain, and by 4.00 there was hardly any snow left.

I'm off to Brighton tomorrow, helping out at a Craft Fair, and I have bought my train ticket, so I hope the trains are OK. Slight delays this end, it seems to be the tube trains were the worst affected, and I'm not usng those. I hope Y's journey tomorrow is uneventful too.....

I love hearing what you are eating - but I'd agree, it does make me hungry.....