Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Mild again - Ikea - Morrisons Lunch

Very mild again, and we decided to go to Ikea while Karen was here. We intended to have a 'mooch' followed by lunch.

But the restaurant is closed till March for refurbishment. So we had to settle for a coffee, in those ghastly polystyrene mugs, followed by a our tour. Inevitably we bought things, as you do. Then Y had the bright idea of lunch at Morrisons which we did. I had 'liver & onions' which was fine and Y had 'chicken tikka' which was also good. She was asked if she wanted rice with it, or chips? Only in Eastwood.......etc.........

While we were in Morrisons I bought this week's issue of Amateur Photographer and 'lo and behold' there was my article in their 'Backchat' slot. If anyone wants to read it, please click here and, even though I say it 'as shouldn't' it doesn't read at all badly. I still agree with myself which considering I wrote it several months ago, is an unusual occurence these days. And £50 is winging its way towards me. I shall have to decide what to spend it on. Don't need another bag, or any more notebooks, and certainly not any more cans of WD40.

Picture 1 just shows how lovely the daffs are this year, even cheap ones from Aldi seem to last and last, and each bloom opens evenly from the unopened stage. I always remember the Malcom de Chazal bit though :-

......"The flower in the vase still smiles, but no longer laughs"


Picture 2 is Y's little woodland piece which has been truly beautiful this year. The aconite have now more -or-less finished but the snowdrops go on and on. There is lots more in there, just showing through. I hope the new occupants appreciate it.

The carpet cleaning man arrived at 1pm to do the big-room and the hall and Y insisted on going out in the garden, cutting back and clearing up and she tired herself out and gave herself backache, not to mention spraining her thumb. But she has now had a recuperative lie-down and feels buoyant again.
Worrying news on the World Service in the midle of the night that, in 2036, an asteroid will pass within 10,000 miles of earth and there is a possibility it might actually collide with us. I shall be 101 years and would personally think it an admirable way to go. But I certainly don't think that with regard to our children and grandchildren. And everyone else's of course.

Peace be on your cooking pot.........

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

”… Chicken Tika ... with rice or chips? Only in Eastwood.......etc.........”
Oh no! It certainly applies in north Notts; some people have both I believe. And there is a big sale for curry sauce with chips (and, for some, fish?!!) – Sandra used to love it (not the fish) in the same way as tomato sauce sandwiches.

Last time we had lunch (Morrisons’ Famous Fish & Chips) in the Newark Morrisons it was awful – not quite inedible but NOT good. The next time we met in Wetherspoons at about 4.30 and it was full of foul-mouthed young women and raucous builders but the food was all right. I loved it but Sandra wasn’t so keen. Since than, I have been in at midday and it was quite different – as refined as The Court House at Mansfield..

“I still agree with myself …” well if you don’t, not many others are likely to!
But as you know, I thought it was well worth £50 of someone else’s money

I’ll keep an eye out for the asteroid and text you if I spot it. Way to go, man!

On Sunday Sandra bought some of the tough topside home from Jen’s, (for Ralph).
But, with a thriftiness which you will find admirable, she cut it up small and made an excellent stew with potatoes, carrot, onion, celery and a tin of baked beans.
That was yesterday but not the end of it.
Today I topped what was left with some suet crust pastry and left it in the oven too long so the bottom just ‘caught’ (Notts term for not burnt but nearly). Delicious.
AND, I mixed bird seed with the surplus pastry, wrapped lumps of it round loops of string, boiled the dumplings and then dried them out in the oven to hang out for the Blue Tits.
Jump back in admiration.