Saturday, February 10, 2007

6C - Fast Thaw - Y away - Long Eaton

Our long-tailed tits seem at last to have decided that I pose no threat and we had at least 6 this morning. As I went to top up one of the bird-feeders 2 of them sat on a bit of trellis fence no more than 5 feet away, waiting for me to finish the job. Before I had re-entered the house they had descended on the refilled feeder and were feeding voraciously. Perhaps after the snow they were feeling 'peckish'. Ha Ha!

We had an early lunch and I took Y to Phoenix Park for the tram. It is such a marvellous facility because it drops her right at the railway station.

After dropping her, I went over to Long Eaton to deliver the 'book chair' and the 'bag'. Sky was delighted with the book-chair and is looking forward to using it to read in bed. But she couldn't resist seating some of her play people in what, to them, is an enormous deck-chair. She is, after all, only 8. Then she suspended it from the fire-place and it became a chair-ride. A charming picture though and I shall e-mail it to my 'bookchair company' chum, the CEO, Gary, who I accidentally wrote to when I was working out how to order direct.

Brooke also loved her bag, and although it looks big in the picture you must remember that she is only quite small. But she left me in no doubt that she also, would like a book-chair !

I can understand because they are so attractive and beautifully made - in England, and from renewable timber.

David and Helen are further recipients of the National Trust, Mansfield Chapter, quiz-sheet. Joan has one, Steven has one, I'm taking one to Bungus on Tuesday which together with our own, accounts for the 5 we were issued with. If we get completely stuck, I shall photograph it, link it, and ask everyone for help with the offending questions.

By the time I arrived home Y had texted me to say she had arrived safely and I rang D & H to say I also had arrived safely. TJ had left an answerphone message to see if I was OK and she told me all about where she had skidded on the ice. Forunately she didn't hit anything but today, when she went past the same spot, a white-van had gone through a wall.

.....Lots of little jobs beckon, so I'm off.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ‘enormous deck chair’ once more raises the vital, fascinating (to some) matter of many (most? all?) young children’s lack of concern about scale. I wonder at what age it usually starts to assume importance. With some people. never, I suspect. I think it is probably all part of the spatial awareness, sense of direction, ‘not knowing right from left’ (which I am convinced is more prevalent among women than men), etc, thingy.
Sandra has no idea where she is in relation to other places whereas I, generally speaking, can have a good stab at pointing north wherever I am (not consciously using the sun or moss on trees). I can also more or less confidently point in the general direction of Edinburgh, Scarborough, Yarmouth. Bournemouth, Bristol and Blackpool (likewise Norway, Turkey, Libya and Cuba). Some of it comes from learning, of course. If someone mentions an unknown (to me) town or country, I am not happy until I have located it on a map. Sandra and many others are happily unconcerned.
Perhaps it IS me who is the odd one out?


I presume we shall expected to answer the quiz questions from our acquired knowledge; not by going online?


Re Tracey skidding on the ice: I reckon this used to be commonplace. Global warming I suppose?
I well remember the New Years Eve 1966/67 when I and several others from north of the county went to a party in Whatton and ALL of us spun our cars through at least 360 degrees on the early hours' way home (I did it on the Oxton bypass and, having spun twice, ended up facing the wrong way on the dual carriageway). And the brother of someone I knew, who was ’Traffic’, was called that morning to an accident on Harlow Wood hill. On arriving at the scene, they too lost control of their vehicle on the ice and ended up sitting in a ‘write-off’in the ditch alongside the vehicle they had gone to look at. The passenger left the car and, on reaching the black-iced road, lost his footing and slipped to the ground. The driver got out to help him and suffered the same fate. The following Saturday they were on duty at Mansfield Town’s home match.

Anonymous said...

You seem to have had a lot more snow than us, we had quite a lot Thursday morning, but it had gone by tea-time, and our temperature stayed above freezing that night, and we had no more smow.

Trains to Brighton were fine, five degrees and drizzle was spot on, was pleased to find that this year there was a free shuttle bus to the Conference Centre from the station and back, saved a 20 minute walk. I had an enjoyable day - I take it that Y got off on her trip too. It was the tube trains that were hit badly here.

And on the same topic, don't you think it was awful to close so many schools, sometimes for two days? I think it sets a very bad example - I'm sure that, like me, you can remember going to school in the snow, slides and snowballs in the playground, etc.etc.