Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Still Mild - Bougton - Est. Agents

Picture 1 shows Bungus striding manfully towards The Snooty Fox where we had an excellent lunch; beef and all the tracklements, well cooked tender and very good vegetables. Then puddings and altogether including a round of drinks the bill came to just over £12. First-class value.

We enjoyed a good chat and it was lovely to see Ralph, who made a real fuss of me even though he is getting to be an old dog. Can't jump about; doesn't want to go very far; makes odd noises. And is keen to have his dinner on time, if not a little early - just like the rest of us !

I was up at 4am this morning, finishing off my prints for tomorrow evening plus, of course, messing-about on the internet. Read all the news and caught up with a couple of radio broadcasts I had missed. There is no doubt that, if one is a computer user, bbc.co.uk is a very rewarding website and the annual licence fee becomes excellent value. Being such a limited TV viewer I feel that I still get value for money.

Before setting off for Boughton I called in at our farm up the road for some fresh eggs and I couldn't resist a photograph of them in their original rustic state. Before serving them to anyone, I do give them a little cosmetic make-over.

And as I have mentioned before, it is so reassuring to see them happily scratching about, overseen by a lordly and inquisitive cockerell.

It goes without saying that the flavour is A1. For tea, I used one to make pancakes. A day late I realise but yesterday it didn't work out.

When I arrived home the Estate Agent (one of them) had been and gone and Y reported that she had been impressed by the young man. He had a good poke about - loved the view, loved the size of the rooms and the garden, and the large garage. He felt he would have no trouble selling it at a price we both consider to be fine. We intend to let the 2 pre-arranged others come, if only to hear different opinions about the price. But his firm subscribe to 5 websites and, according to him, 70% of house-searching is now on the internet. Y sounded persuaded, and happy and we both feel that this time we might be luckier. Didn't she do well ?

The tea I have in my room is often Assam and I usually buy tea-bags but this time, accidentally, I bought leaf-tea. Doesn't it brew strong compared to tea-bags? The old adage was 1 spoonful per person and one for the pot ! Far too strong in my opinion, and I'm a lover of strong tea.

Camera club tomorrow night so fingers crossed.

.....Talking about tea - I'm off to make a pot......

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that the photo does not do me a disservice. Somehow I even manage, without effort, to look rather slim!

Yes, it was a very good lunch and excellent value (Wed and Fri, pensioners’ special carvery – there was a choice of turkey or ham or a steak & mushroom pie, as well as the beef, and they give you at least twice as much veg as you need and an ample jug of gravy).
Then back home for a proper cup of tea (see below). Ralph certainly has his own unique way of making people feel welcome!

We also get our eggs from a ‘home’ producer, often as dirty as yours which I agree is a comfort.
My aunty Mary who was a Land Girl married a (very nice) GI called Merlin (Tex) Ritter (they are still both going strong in their late 80s, in Oregon).
When she first brought him home to Mansfield he was horrified to see boiled egg served in the shell – he thought it was a really dirty habit being accustomed , as he was, to them being removed from the shell and chopped up before being brought to table.

Pleased to hear that the Estate Agent inspired confidence (just the sort of thing I was capable of doing when I was a charming young man!)
The best thing about it is that it won’t be your fault if it does go awry.

You’re right about the tea. I use leaf tea almost always because I really think it makes a better ‘cup’.
Now that I no longer take milk I don’t mind much whether it is weak or strong. And I am sure tea bags stain the cups more.