Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Serenissima - Camera Obscure Part 2.

A couple of days ago I mentioned the camera-obscura effect caused by the magnifying glass in a jug on the desk, projecting an image onto my notepad.

These pictures are of the Camera Obscura on Douglas Head on The Isle of Man and were mentioned in a 'comment' and e-mailed me by my Lifeboatman chum, Pete Brady or, as he is known on WebUser forums, 'Manxislander'. The flag and tree give you a good idea of scale.

His website and Blog, please click here, makes mine look a little bleak & dowdy but, I speak defensively, he has been at it longer and is much better with computers than I am. If you want a lively read, accompanied by super pictures you should give him a click. He will be pleased to see you, and you will be brought uptodate on matters 'manxian'. I hope that isn't a no-no, like calling Scottish people Scotch.

Picture 1 gives you a good view looking up at the building, while Picture 2 provides a wonderful idea of what the lens is looking at.

I cribbed the line-drawing from an information site which Pete also sent me and it gives you an understanding of how camera-obscuras work. I can hear a pedant clambering up the hill towards me to point out that it should be cameras-obscura.

Thanks to all for their 'comments'. Jill's greater-spotted woodpecker in the garden is amazing. I'm not at all sure that I have ever seen one. In the woods at Renishaw last year we saw the really common one, would it be a green-woodpecker? It certainly had a tinge. The Romans at Drakeholes was due to a mention on a web-page claiming that the village was the site of a Roman Station. But I don't feel strongly about it.

And I've solved the ring-pull problem, finding one in an ironmongers on Carlton Hilltop while Y was in for her nail-service. Mine was £1.95p which I considered expensive for a plastic hook. Prolly Lakeland would have been cheaper I also found some bed-caster-cups to raise the level of my bed a little. Two reasons, 1. I find it increasingly difficult to get up from it to a vertical stance and 2. I wanted to be able to slide an underbed storage box under it, containing photo-mounting board et al. I'll leave you to work out which was most important Ha Ha! Excellent news on the Warfarin front though - my INR level is quite stable and I don't need to have another blood-test till March 19th.

After that it was lunch at The Mechanics. I had Sausage, Egg and Chips and Y had Double-Egg and Chips. Both were delicious and, together with a J2O and a filter-coffee came to £7.45. It wouldn't be much cheaper at home. Then our Venice class which was first rate again. One forgets how prolific Titian was in nearly 60 years of painting. There are over 650 known works still in existence. And how his style changed over his lifetime.

Last night's National Trust lecture, about Bolsover Castle was also v. good and the lecturer obviously loves the place and made it come alive. There was a wonderful turnout; an informed guess would be just under 90 people and Y made £50 on the raffle. And whether or not it is a product of Xmas, people are bringing in some much more upmarket prizes. We might even persuade our aristocratic lady to accept her tickets ! I know I've told the story but it will stand repeating. She always buys a £1 worth of tickets and never accepts them. Eventually Y asked "Is it because you may leave before it is drawn?". "No" she replied "It's because I don't want to win any of the prizes." Now there's style for you!

....Sleep tight.....


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just unimportant info:
there is no longer a village of Drakeholes; not even a hamlet; just, it appears, the White Swan and access to the Chesterfield Canal.

A wooden spoon is cheaper than a plastic hook because you already have one.

I can virtually never bring myself to buy cooked eggs (except, perversely, as a component of a full, or part, 'English') because they are so cheap and easy to cook at home.
We all have our funny little ways, don't we?

Anonymous said...

Many thanks for your very kind comments regarding my site and of course for the link. I'm not entirely sure though that I know more about computers than yourself as I'm not really that good. Sometimes I think that old saying 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing' is rather apt when myself and computers are in the same sentence, let alone the same room....If I may just add here....If any of your readers visit my site (thanks to your link) it would be very nice if they dropped me a comment or two on my guest page just to say what they thought as I'm always open to suggestion.......Now here's a suggestion for yours.....Have you thought of a 'My favourite Recipe ' page. When reading your blog I sometimes get rather hungry when you are talking about the food you have just eaten / cooked.Why don't you share some of your favourites with all of us?

Anonymous said...

Forgot to mention this the last time...Never heard the Manx people being called Manxian before now as they tend to use the word Manxies. I'll never be a true Manxie as I'm what the locals cal a 'comeover' being a Brummie born and bred, having only lived on the island for six years. Love the place so much, hence my site. Couldn't ask for a nicer place to live, in my opinion...