Friday, January 05, 2007

The Weekend approacheth - Y grannying

A couple of days ago I wondered if anyone collected old 'coat-hangers' (I put that in quotes because I didn't want pedantry about 'something on which to hang an old coat). Bungus suggested a quick google. This chap turned up together with his website. Please click.

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a readily available group-term for collectors. Perhaps a 'rail' or a 'suspension' of coat-hanger collectors would do. I leave it to imaginations more fertile than mine.

My interest had been sparked because, in my wardrobe, I have several of great age, i.e. I grew up with them. And one of them at least did its National Service (early fifties) in Germany and returned safely without being stolen.

And the strangest thing is, the one he is holding is almost identical to one of mine. His says "Equal to a Fine Liqueur" . Mine says, more verbosely (of course) "The Equivalent of a Fine Liqueur".

But obviously out of the same stable. Ha Ha!

As one gets older, one can become preoccupied with trivia like this, without worrying about time being wasted.

To return to more mundane matters. Y caught the train to London OK and later rang to say she had arrived safely at Palmers Green. She had discovered she could travel first class for £3 more, and did so. She had apprehensions though that it would be full of noisy business men on mobiles and laptops, as against her normal seat in the mobile free carriage. The entire train of course is now 'non-smoking' and has been for some years which suits her fine.

I've done my usual messing-about but managed time to call in and see Brian. He agreed with me that the lecturer at EPS last night was excellent fun but that his 'skies' were too 'loud'. People don't seem to realise that really jazzed-up skies result in very two-dimensional pictures. Due to the absence of any tonal recession to give depth. Still it is very much a matter of personal choice and my comments shouldn't give the impression that I didn't thoroughly enjoy his pictures and his super sense of humour. Because I did, and so did Brian.

....Catch you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about a 'robe' of hangers-on?

Only your RED skies are too loud. Were you ever a shepherd?

Anonymous said...

PS
Sorry to hear that there is no longer a 'smoking carriage' on the London train. Last time I went down there, I welcomed it as the only compartment with plenty of empty seats and, although I have not smoked for perhaps 24 years and 6 days, I still like the smell.
The First Class supplement sounds excellent value. Was it mobile noisy?