Sunday, January 07, 2007

11C - Long Eaton - Power Station

After ringing David this morning it was decided that I nip over to Long Eaton to see them all. And to take the posters Y had obtained from the Telegraph and their copy of Our Island Story. Lovely posters they are too. Seafish, shells, trees and things. It was good to share coffee and see Sky and Brooke, and Helen and David of course. Brooke has a school-project about toys of yesteryear and I remembered a little wooden figure which used to have a cork on the bottom and my Dad used as a beerbottle stopper. Then the cork broke off and I was given the little wooden chap to play with. After the 'project' I've told her she can keep it.

It is amazing what your genes carry. Brooke came into the conservatory with a little green hessian-type bag over her shoulder. I admired it and Helen said "Oh she loves bags". They have been a lifetime love of mine too. I said "and little notebooks" producing two from different pockets. Apparently Brooke also is very keen on little notebooks !

On the way to Long Eaton I had noticed the power-station doing its stuff and fancied a picture so David directed me a mile or so towards Sawley where a good view is available. I actually found Picture 1 down a lane leading to the Marina. Unfortunately by the time I got there the clouds of steam had been much dissipated by the wind. Ah well - such is life.

Picture 2 is of Sawley Church, a very pleasing looking structure. On neither occasion was the weather as nice as it looks. In fact it was quite dismal and spotting with rain. So, I have 'brightened' and 'improved' a little. In neither case so as to spoil the 'feel' of either.

Neither looks very sharp. Which is a much bigger problem and I have'nt yet sussed out why.

I was on the Amateur Photography forums a while ago and was able to give a chap a list of instructions as to how to produce a JPEG of a Print Screen. He had sorted me out with a Capture NX problem so it was a pleasure to offer a little back in return.

... Helen is a bit under the weather and Brooke had recently had a high temperature due to tonsilitis. Genes again. David was a chronic sufferer plus adenoids. Lets hope everyone soon feels better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have always wanted to get a photo of the British Sugar Factory at Newark which is quite as dramatic as the power stations when in full smoke. I have never felt a sufficient incentive to seek out a viewpoint, however, and my only attempt from the top deck of a bus failed miserably.

I think we went to a wedding at Sawley church a couple of years ago (one of Sandra’s great-nieces who is in the army). Plenty to look at in the church as I recall.

Our Danny suffered from severe tonsilitis several times a year all through his childhood and teens until an eventual tonsilectomy in his mid twenties when it is a far more serious matter. I recall visiting him immediately after the operation and he wasn’t there as he had haemorrhaged badly and they had rushed him back to theatre. The ward was filthy.

Anonymous said...

Surely sum pun about kitchen pans needs including!!!