Friday, January 12, 2007

Rest Day (enforced) - Suffering

I won't dwell on it but I'm not 100% today. Can't walk for fear of falling over - ankles like the bottoms of pit-props - painful and I daren't risk more Dihydrocodeine. Ho Hum as Ray says.

Basically in good spirits though and glad I've got my 'lappy' which fits in with where I want to be, rather than me with it.

All my Royal Photographic Society stuff arrived this morning, addressed to 'me' LRPS. What a lovely present from Y. The magazines are beautiful, classily designed and presented and so sniff-worthy! Y says she wants to renew it for me each year, which will be a super annual prezzie.

There are several events I intend to go to. One in February is close by at Ravenshead, so I've promptly booked, and the buffet-lunch.

Anyway, first things first, no new pictures for today so I've used two from my archives. Picture 1 was an unbelievably photo-genic door in a very old Chapel on Caldey Island. I nearly missed it because there were steps down, but Y said I should make the effort, and I'm glad I did. Most of the dramatic colour effects were due to the in-camera flash on the old Casio. We would love to have known more about the wall-markings but there wasn't anyone to ask.

Picture 2 was from the Criccieth holiday. It's the beach on the far-side of the Castle in the late-evening sun.

Not much wrong with the old Casio in my opinion and I'm so glad I didn't rush into disposing of it when the Nikon arrived. There is still a strong case for the shirt-pocket camera! It is nice to be lucky enough to have both.

Before I leave matters photographic, last night's camera club event is worth a mention. The lecturer was a slide-photographer from the Bakewell Club and was, in my opinion, excellent. It was interesting to see that some of his slides from the 1950s had 'travelled well' while some had deteriorated. His Kodak slide-film seemed to have fared best. The quality of his work was good and he was not obsessed with photoshopped skies etc.

We had fish, chips, and peas for lunch. Traditional Friday. And I made it into the kitchen in the face of Y's protests. I parked myself on the high stool and enjoyed doing it. Y is shortly going to make a sandwich for tea, which we will enjoy during the 6pm TV News - So we can see what crisis the government has lurched into today.

Nice e-mail from Madeline which I shall reply to promptly. But she sounds OK anyway and 'the station' sends its best wishes to Jill with the hope that she is continuing to improve. It was a relief to know that Buttercup Syrup has reached Chiswick. And I know the book she mentioned as being by Deric. If it is the right one, I think is second name is Longden.

John rang to say that the 'missing' Xmas card and cheque had finally turned up. A relief to know that even though we had stopped the original one and sent him another.

This is me mentally, but my legs won't follow....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that you are immobilised and in pain. If it goes on I shall have to sort out a time to visit you rather than us Wetherspooning together in Mansfield (does that sound a touch obscene to you?).

I remember both the old pictures. The door reminds me of a stage set I once painted for a school panto. I also helped write it which I thoroughly enjoyed – I think it was either Snow White or Cinderella (hard to tell them apart).
Apart from detailed close-ups, I think your Casio pics were at least as good as your more recent ones. In fact, I’ll go so far as to say that in some strange way I like them better (I don’t think I am speaking from behind a green screen of envy). Perhaps it is because you are trying too hard to be innovative with the Nikon. And don’t let me put you off, please – it would be like asking a Mexican pilgrim not to mount all those pyramidal stone steps on his knees.

I hope you recover speedily.