Sunday, January 14, 2007

Continued improvement - Casserole again

Y saw some long-tailed tits on the cherry blossom tree yesterday and this morning they paid a quick call to the bird feeders. But, by the time I had a camera they had gone. Not to return.

But I like this blackbird actually in the act of eating an ornamental rowan berry. I'm very pleased for their sakes that the berries stayed on in all that wind. The sight reminded me of a line from Wallace Stevens -

"Among seven snowy mountains the only thing that moved was the eye of a blackbird...."

I have no doubt misquoted him badly, but that was the gist. We had the beef stew again today and as so often, it tasted even better second day. As I had the 'makings' I did a tray of baked veg. again and, as per Delia added what we had. Some Charlotte potatoes, mushrooms, and peppers, to go with the celeriac, shallots, and butternut squash.

Had a lovely find whilst out surfing this morning, early on while the waves were high. It is a daily Art newspaper, and full of all sorts of goodies. Macafee siteadvisor pronounces it as safe. please click . I've already forwarded it to Bungus because I think he might like it. But, if anyone else likes it too, please feel free to forward it on. Increased readership will always please the authors.

This afternoon Y spotted this lovely programme on BBC 1 "Rolf on Art" and it charted his career all the way from childhood and by the time he was 8 you could see his talent. At 15 he had a self-portrait accepted in one of Autralia's major galleries. His thumbnail pen and ink sketches of teachers and fellow pupils were so good. Interviews with his family and friends and when he was living in Earls Court were first rate.

There was nice coverage of his early TV shows in UK and great clips of the enormous paintings he used to do, with a 4" decorating brush in about 10 minutes. And, of course, his hit songs "tie my kangaroo down sport" and "did you think I would leave you dying".

He is 76 now, and came across as so lively, still very talented and keen on his art - and such a thoroughly great bloke. I hope it is repeated, for the benefit of anyone who missed it - and anyway, I would like to watch it again.

Had a nice chat to David and I'm so pleased to hear that Helen has had a better two days. As we were talking a was looking out at a nice sunnt morning and thinking David and Helen will soon be planning their caravan trips. And I had no sooner thought it than David said it. All the good places get booked up very early but I'm sure they will find somewhere that is up to the mark.

I have to go to the Hospital tomorrow for a very minor procedure and I've told Y she needn't bother to come with me, so we aren't quite sure what the day will hold.

.....Bye for now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice blackbird photo. Well snapped.
I don’t know whether it was the time of year or a particular resident family that we have (for some years we had a series of several generations that all had plumes on their heads) but, a few weeks ago I saw two cock blackbirds and neither had the yellow ring around the eye. I felt quite sorry for them as it is such a distinctive and attractive feature.
I had a card from the RSPB yesterday to say that their annual garden count is taking place again shortly. Although I am not a member, I contributed last year and intend to again.

Damn! You have beaten me to it! I had intended to tell you that there was a programme on BBC1 today that you would find it hard to dislike.

I had a quick look at the online Art newspaper, in particular a shedload of anecdotes by and about artists, some very entertaining. My favourite was Man Ray on Marcel Duchamp’s shortlived marriage:
"Duchamp spent most of the one week they lived together studying chess problems, and his bride, in desperate retaliation, got up in the night when he was asleep and glued all the chess pieces to the board…"

Good luck tomorrow. I shall not expect early corresopondence.

Anonymous said...

I hope all goes well today for you. I'm still on the butercup syrup, but not as often! - didn't use it at all last night.

I'm a day behind you with the stew - casserole, mine is in oven for tonght and tomorrow. Is there a definitive difference between a casserole and a stew? Mine has leg of beef (same as your shin?) and carrots, a tired leek from the bottom of the veg.drawer and a couple of handfuls of Tescos' stew/soup mix. This is a mixture of split peas, pearly barley, orange lentils, rolled oats (I think) some bits of what look like pasta but which completely disappear in cooking, and two other things I can't identify, but which I think are different variety of lentils. They thicken up the liquid nicely, I don't think they add anything taste-wise though. We shall have ours with rice and fresh runner beans.

We enjoyed the Rolf Harris programme very much too - thought of you and wondered if you were watching! Much better than most of the evening programmes. (am thinking of asking BBC for synopsis or sub-titles of 'Waking the Dead' - and why is it all in the dark, even their offices?).

Back to Rolf - we met someone once who had been on a cruise where Rolf and his wife were fellow passengers - it was just after the tsunami. He agreed to do talks/paintings if the ship donated a lump sum and the audience all made donations too and quite a lot of money was raised. (probably still sitting somewhere, we now realise....).

Anonymous said...

This will sound daft but, just in case, because we all have blankspots, does Jill know that if you click onto Ceefax and post 888 you get subtitles? As I said, if she does I will sound daft but I can't think what else she means!

Good for Rolf (and the other passengers).