Thursday, January 11, 2007

Burton Joyce Day - Camera Club

I suppose 1 aconite and 1 snowdrop is at least a start. But certainly not early. Last year the first few made an appearance on January 7th.

And in the circular bed around a tree, where there are usually lots, none have showed up yet. Not to worry. They will.

Not sure whether or not we shall go to see them at Hodsock Priory this year. They seem to have made it very expensive and, being cynical, once you have seen a load of snowdrops together ............ It's best when you chance on some unexpectedly. As Emerson said "If you go outside to look at the moon, it becomes tinsel......"

Picture 2 is a carry over from yesterday's baked vegetable photographs. Celeriac must be one of the world's ugliest vegetables. But, then again, when you study it closely it becomes beautiful. Like a weird landscape.

Many of our older readers will remember the actress Jill Bennet, superficially ugly but, when you had seen her enough, she became quite beautiful. Not that I am comparing Jill in anyway with a celeriac top. I don't want one of her erstwhile fans coming round with a shotgun.

Nice to have our own Jill back, albeit still suffering. Y swears by Buttercup Syrup for coughs. Don't know if its virtues have reached as far down south as Chiswick though.

This morning, as I was taking Y to Phoenix Park tram the rain was torrential, and I was so pleased with my new wiper-blades. Steve at the garage had thoughfully put the front one which was still OK, on the rear window, because it was longer than the existing one. It now clears an additional 2 inches of surface which provides a much better view. Everything was better, the steering, the brakes (particularly the handbrake) and the 'clutch'. I kow it's an automatic but the take-up is much smoother. Brinsley Garages aren't cheap, but they do an excellent job.

The Home Office are still in a mess with the people convicted of serious offences abroad. According to The Telegraph, the junior minister who yesterday on TV disclaimed all knowledge, was written to about the problem by ACPO a month ago, and she replied to their letter.

Iraq is in a mess and Bush is to send more troops, as if ........... I don't often quote from the Bible but Hosea v111.7 strikes a chord:-

"For they have sown the wind, and shall reap the whirlwind"

Enough soapbox for today. .. .... Sleep tight !


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have never understood why people would go somewhere just to look at snowdrops. Or to look at very much else for that matter: I think I was put off in 1949 or 1950 when I cycled 10 miles out of my way, near the end of an 80 mile ride from Bath to Salisbury, to see Stonehenge – one of the several big disappointments of my life and I shouldn’t be surprised if there are still a few more to come.
Another quote (Boswell, re the Giant’s Causeway):
‘Worth seeing, yes; but not worth going to see.’

I always think celeriac looks like an alien from Dr Who. I would not describe Jill Bennett as ugly (or beautiful) but I know what you are getting at (see also: Rolf Harris being hard to dislike). Remember her in ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’? My god, was she sexy.?

What a foul day it has been. But at least Newark & Sherwood District Council have written to my neighbour and told him exactly what is what. As I opened my copy then the sun came out!

I made my suitably moderated for the wider readership statement on Bush's extra trops for Iraq yesterday. I did not wish to offend. If that is too cryptic, Graham has my permission to reveal the coarse details.

Anonymous said...

Been watching Judge John Deed (talk about sexy) a very anti-government episode, but then it is by G.Newman, remember he wrote a programme exposing various activities in the Police Force many years ago.....

I have Buttercup Syrup by my bed - there was a book by Deric somebody, one about his wife and one about his mother, who seemed to be addicted to the stuff, that was when I discovered it!