Thursday, January 04, 2007

Burton Joyce - Camera Club

Two pictures, not really faked, but in No.1 the moon was hopelessly over-exposed, to get any detail at all into the sky.

Then I took another and deliberately under-exposed by 2 stops in order to get some detail in the moon.

Picture 2 is a result of merging the two together and a little smudging of cloud over the rim so it doesn't look too artificial.

It will be a matter of opinion as to whether or not it works but there is a night-shot competition coming up at t'club and I don't want to be without an picture to enter.

Just to return very briefly to the 'execution'and Bungus's point about the lynching of Mussolini and some works of art. Surely the point is that Mussolini hanging from a lampost (an image I remember well from the time) was actually a lynching and didn't pretend to be the outcome of 'due process of law'.

I think I veer Madeline's way because there have been, and still are, many evil men who we do nothing about. Pinochet was a prime example. But he didn't have much oil.

Nikon Capture NX is a brilliant programme and I can see it replacing PhotoShop as the industry standard. You don't have to bother with 'selections' and 'layers' etc., and it does a super job with its 'control points'. I won't bore you with details because I realise it is a 'minority sport'.

With the additional memory (1.5GB) my laptop positively speeds through things. "Rats up drainpipes" and "s**t off a shovel" spring to mind.

Y was delivered to Phoenix Park tram this morning and I've tried to spend a few hours lying down. Not due to idleness but because my ankles look like moon-boots again. It reduced them a little. I just can't miss out on my Camera Club. In between everything else, I went shopping after dropping Y off, and this afternoon I've cooked a spag-bol for this evening. A tasting was satisfactory, even though I have no fresh herbs except a little basil. Seed-sowing seems to be called for again.

Although the internet tells me it's 11C in Nottingham, Brinsley feels much colder than that. There's still a very strong breeze so I guess it is wind-chill.

...Keep smiling. Catch you tomorrow....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think pic 2 works exceedingly well. Very atmospheric.
Not altogetrher ‘avant-garde’, I suppose but all I can suggest is either a Flying Bicycle or The Wicked Witch of the West? But they are clicheed, aren’t they?

I’m sorry but I do not accept that the hanging of Saddam should be classified as a lynching; an inaccurate and unnecessarily emotive description, I feel. He was found guilty after a lengthy court case that was probably as open and fair as it could be under the circumstances (eg, judges terrified of reprisals). More trials of the many further cases would almost certainly have resulted in more guilty verdicts. And was it wrong to allow the Iraqis to deal with his punishment. At least he was spared the 30 years on Death Row that he would have been likely to have endured in The States.
But my main point was that the Mussolini pictures were, in my view, more horrific; and I do not recall anyone suggesting that it was inappropriate to publish them.
I accept that there are other elected andf unelected dictators as bad as or worse than Saddam. I think Britain’s (Thatcher’s) behaviour in respect of Pinochet was disgraceful and Mugabi is a horror.
But hindsight can make genii of us all and Saddam COULD have avoided the war by complying with UN Resolutions. So, in that sense, he has only his own arrogance to blame for his demise.


I cooked a fish curry for tea today.


I’ve told you before; temperatures are a waste of time. You KNOW when you’re cold.

Anonymous said...

Leaving comments on your own blog? isn't that like texting yourself or writing yourself a letter or something strange like that. Could be a latter day 'first sign of madness!'

Anonymous said...

I emailed myself the other day but couldn't undertand a word so I trashed it