Monday, January 15, 2007

95% - Nottingham Trip - 9°C

The Matt cartoon is a couple of days old but I wanted to put it in. Super joke ! If this relentless pressure about global-warming continues we shall all soon feel guilty just sitting in our cars let alone drive a 4 x 4. They are too high up for me anyway, without running boards.

I am 95% recovered and my walking was so much better again this morning. Like the reverse of the "calm before the storm". The words "mountain goat" don't quite sum up the situation but I was so sprightly this morning we decided on a lightning trip down to our fair city. I'm not even in my 'gunslinger stance" which usually follows a bad attack.

Y wanted to take books back to Bromley House and I wanted Jessops or some camera shop, to buy a polariser filter. Jessops had one to fit my camera, a pro-version of the necessary bit of glass and I thought "Oh good" and went to get out my credit card. £161.99p they wanted, so I quickly pushed my credit card back into its slot in my wallet. I've seen them on the 'net' for £17.50p which I think is more than enough. The other camera shop Jacobs had the cheapest version; they didn't have one at all.

We met up at St Peter's Church Hall, so that I could have a doorstop sandwich while Y settled for a cheese scone. Both were lovely. The place was very busy again and quite full circa 12.30-ish. But it is full of nice inoffensive people like us i.e. old and middle class.

I was pleased to see the tree, see Picture 2, in the churchyard with strong healthy buds which was a promising harbinger of spring.

My Dad used to say he had found that, if he lived to see the Spring he was alright for the rest of the year. Strange, but I knew where he was coming from.

Didn't go by tram this morning because the City Council has massively improved town-centre parking for blue-badge holders. We parked on Angel Row but there was plenty of space on St. Peter's Gate itself. There are other pictures with which I shall regale you over the next couple of days. Re Jill's query about the definitive difference between a 'stew' and a 'casserole', I honestly dont think that, in England at least, there is one. I suspect people think that casserole sounds posh and stew sounds common. I think I shall call such a dish a 'stew' if we are eating it and a 'casserole' if we have guests.

As regular readers will notice, we had a 'comment' from 'annonymous' yesterday. Whoever he/she is made the good contribution for Jill's benefit as to how to get subtitles for TV shows. She probably knows anyway but "Thanks" and please in future, don't be coy about your identity. You are obviously not a 'spammer' so welcome aboard.

.....Depending how I get on at the Hospital, 4.15pm appointment, I will be back later, or tomorrow.

p.s. 10pm. All clear from the Urology department and Mr. Mann (what a lovely name) doesn't need to see me again. At least one bit of me is working OK then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pleased to hear that you are moving better and will not require me to make you a one foot walking stick.

I was surprised at your heading which I read at first as ‘minus 9C’. I knew there was appreciable wind chill but it had to be warmer than that!
On the same subject, I hope polariser filters do not threaten the survival of those cuddly big white killer bears? And I would be less than open if I did not reveal that I have met another cyclic theorist while walking Ralph. He is all in favour of global warming as it means he can wear his bikini and pay reduced gas bills.

Your ‘doorstop’ malapropism (you do KNOW it should be ‘doorstep’, don’t you?) reminds me of Billy Mitchell’s wife in Eastenders who was given some beauties by the scriptwriters. A pity she had to go; it is a programme with few laughs.

I like your father’s Spring survival theory but my dad rather spoiled it by dying on 21 Aug, the birthday of Count Basie, Princess Margaret Rose, Chag Shaw and Dorothy Parker (not that one), among others.

Your ‘not going by tram’ reference allows me to mention Radio Nottingham's
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/
nottingham/in_pictures/ <
a collection of generally splendid competition photos including a very atmospheric b&w tramshot absolutely full of power and movement.

I own up. Yesterday’s ‘anonymous’ comment was from me and I was sure I had signed off properly (nothing scurrilous, so no reason to hide!). Sorry I wasn’t a new fan.

I like your Mr Mann/Mr Men allusion.
Not so much Mr Tickle as Mr Trickle perhaps?