Sunday, January 21, 2007

7C - Gales subsided - Quiet Sunday

There has been an exhibition in Frankfurt entitled "Picasso and The Theatre" . This is a watercolour, indian ink, and pencil sketch for a stage set. Next time I hear some philistine say "Picasso couldn't draw", or "my 5yr old could do better", I shall give him a slap. If it's a woman (I was going to say 'lady' but couldn't) I shall content myself with foul-mouthed profanities. I'd never seen this before - just wish Y and I could have seen the whole exhibition.

Picture 2 isn't by me either. And I can't attribute it because the author's name wasn't published in the book about Nottingham Architecture that I 'borrowed' it from. It is 'blogged' because of my rabbiting-on about Bromley House and this photograph includes our beautiful, Georgian spiral -staircase. The table on a diagonal leading your eye to the staircase is very strong.

It is my intention to cope with the Bromley House stairs and visit more often. There has been a gap in my life and now that the Council has improved the blue-badge parking so much, just across the road, I really have no excuse. So you may well be subjected to even more pictures. It was a toss-up what pictures to use today. We have a daffodil in bloom demanding page space but I had to say "No".

To return to more current matters. Fancy Jill having such a big tree blown over the drive. Y had seen a picture of a big tree blown over in Chiswick in the Daily Mail (which I tried to read once and couldn't face again) and we hoped it was'nt near Jill. Pleased the damage was slight however, and that it missed the cars and more importantly that it missed Jill and Ro.

Rob and Elaine's visit was a great success and Rob and I managed to restrain ourselves to a mere few minutes on the subject of photography. He thinks I should do my ARPS and I know he should do his FRPS. For several years I've had an idea of a theme for my ARPS, and Rob thought it was great. But, having thought about it overnight, I don't think I still have the vigour to do it. And if Rob would like the idea for his FRPS I shall wish him well with it and go to the necessary adjudication to see him receive his Fellowship. I'm not going to publish the 'idea' because I don't want some unknown blog-reading-photography-person to abscond with it. We were actually complimented by Y on restricting our discussions ! Apparently I called 'Rob' 'Bob' a couple of times, f0r which shall apologise. I can only plead 'failing faculties'.

The long-tailed tits were back this morning but as furtive as ever and by the time I had a camera they had long gone. Had a nice chat to David and he told me that Sky had really liked receiving her notelet in long-hand (about the book-chair) and had had no difficulty at all in reading it. Y and I had more or less decided not to send postcards from Llandudno - but I think I shall, even if just to the little ones.

...Y's MP3 has around 10 hours of music thereon and we've set it to 'random' so she now has opera, followed by Abba, followed by Johnny Mathis, followed by Willie Nelson etc............

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are right: Picasso was an excellent draughtsman and probably the major artist (certainly the best known) of the last century, but I don’t think you need threaten violence in protecting his reputation! After all, he hasn’t done much to be criticised for in the last 50 years. Remarkable that he is still the most common touchstone for judging ‘modern’ art, don’t you think?
Perhaps, to be more contemporary, you should reserve your physical assaults for those who criticise Damien and Tracey, for instance?

There is a chance that I shall find myself alone when I say that I am not altogether happy with your use of ‘woman’ as a derogatory term (cf ‘concrete’, ‘redbrick’,
‘corrugated’?) and that your use of ‘ladies’ rather than ‘women’ seems something of a sweet anachronism. I think a lot of women would not thank you for it!
I have conducted an extensive survey (the whole population of one bedroom) and am assured that Sandra isn’t really bothered but perhaps JUST prefers being a ‘lady’ whereas if you called Stephanie a lady she would think you were having a laugh.
To me, the word ‘ladies’ conjures up Aubrey Beardsley images of wide-brimmed hats, flowing summer dresses and parasols. But, if stratification is what you seek, what better than the army’s ‘Officers and their ladies, NCOs and their wives, ORs and their women’?

Apart from the monopitch roof on a newish small block of flats having been spun through about 70 degrees, there has, to my knowledge, been little wind damage in Ollerton. Certainly the conifers along my boundary have suffered not at all!

It would be an exaggeration to say that I think you are becoming paranoid about security (property and ideas). Let’s just say that if I was talking about it as you do, I would think I was!

Sorry if I seem to be 'having a go'. Just mischievously encouraging debate!