Monday, January 29, 2007

8C - Birds - Vichysoise - Computer

I thought you all deserved a rest from our holiday-snaps. They have a reputation (well deserved) for being boring. There was a lovely cartoon some time ago of two cavemen in the Altimira caves. One was pointing to a piece of a cave-painting and saying "This is me and Ernie hunting bison". The other caveman looks suitably disinterested.

Managed a better goldfinch picture this morning. Also, a wren put in an appearance and the long-tailed tits who are so camera-shy I despair of 'snapping' them. The great-tits are the opposite and I think now I could walk up to them to do a close-up and they would just glare at me.

Although Google tells me it is 8C on the 'Air Ministry Roof' in Nottingham there has been a strong wind so, with wind-chill it feels much colder. If the reference is lost on younger readers, I should explain. Way-back-When on the BBC Home Service (before Radio 4) they used to publish a national weather-forecast and say "The temperature on The Air Ministry Roof is.....". It is said that one can always recognise a Radio 4 listener by the large amount of disconnected information he/she possesses. A gem this morning was that the hollow space in the top of a house-brick is called a 'frog'. I didn't know that !!

A chap on one of my forums was discussing some matter and said he remembered "Horace Bachelor" who used to feature in a Radio Luxemburg advert. I reminded him of the "H.Samuel Everite Watch" and he came back with "The Ovalatinies". We stopped there because we were way off 'thread' and moderators are (quite properly) keen on these things.

Talking of computer matters I have installed Acronis True Image which I bought from Serif for £7. Sometime ago Ray said it was a good thing to have. But now I've got it, I don't know what to do with it, as it arrived as a disc-in-an-envelope. No manual or anything. I shall work it out though.

This morning I made Leek and Potato soup (large amount thereof) and used some fresh rosemary and thyme which I 'shredded' with this open herb-mill which has been in the family since my childhood. It has survived because it is so efficient. It works better than a Moulinex or any of the other methods I've tried. The other simple solution is to use a sharp knife on the chopping board, holding the herbs together with your fingers. My warfarin dosage makes this latter method too risky for me at the moment. The little machine shown is called a 'Tala' and was 'Made in England'. No criticism of Moulinex intended because I am a fan.

It's a Karen day tomorrow so we are planning on going out while she has a blitz. We've both got things to do in Eastwood and may venture down Nottingham. Depends on the weather.

See ya' all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don’t feel too bad; I have seen many holiday photos more boring than yours.
I think the king was Jack Buck’s video of his holiday in Australia; all of it shot through the windscreen of his car as he drove for 3 weeks down straight roads across the outback (no sign of Ayer’s rock).

I expect the goldfinch picture would be boring if it was in black & white. I did a count for the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch on Saturday/Sunday: 6 Blackbirds, 1 Blue Tit, 2 Collared Doves, 8 House Sparrows, 1 Robin, 3 Wood Pigeons and a Wren (highest number of each species seen at any one time in an hour’s watching). You don’t have to have a big garden; it’s a big birdwatch because several dozen people do it.

Cold and windy, you say? On the contrary, there was virtually no wind at all when I took Ralph for his walk this morning. Unlike yesterday it was comfortably warm (well, not cold).

Fancy anyone not knowing what a frog is (in bricklaying terms). The ongoing dispute has always been whether the bricks should be laid ‘frog up’ or ‘frog down’ (which uses less mortar and, some say, gives more adhesion).

What about Coleman’s Starch, Reckitt’s Blue Bags, Zebo and Black Cat cigarettes then?

Your Acronis True Image reminds me that WE have a breadmaker and a digibox that have yet to be unpackaged. And then there is the once-used ice-cream maker.
When it comes to chopping herbs I am very happy with my 7” square, dished board and twin-handled crescent blade that I cannot at the moment remember the name of. Could it be Cyril?

Anonymous said...

Well, I like your photos! We haven't seen any goldfinches yet, but I expect they'll be back before too long. I'm glad you enjoyed your holiday, but I missed your Blog!
Regarding Acronis True Image, I didn't know what to do with it either/ I don't know if you've got v9.0 or v10.0, so here are a couple of tutorials for you, one for each version. Apparently the guy who wrote them is very helpful if you email him with any problems you encounter.

http://www.ugr.com/nl0506.html

http://www.ugr.com/nl1106.html

I hope you find the appropriate one useful!
Madeline.