Monday, December 11, 2006

Rest Day - Housewife 49 - Shepherd's Pie

These are 2 pictures(off the net, not mine) which accompanied Victoria Wood's dramatisation of the diary of Nella Last. Nella was a housewife in Barrow during the war and kept a diary. The play was beautifully written and Victoria Wood starred in it. Stephanie Cole seen in picture 2 was also excellent, as always. It was 2 hours (commercial TV time) but fortunately we had recorded it and could zoom through the adverts.

Basically a Rest Day and the weather has been pretty foul, cold and wet but not particularly windy. This morning, after the statutory blood-test, I went to Lidl in an effort to buy some more of the tinned duck liver paté, but it had been a one-off and was no more. Then to Aldi because I'd spotted in their e-mail some clocks which receive the Rugby time signal. I've missed my weather-station where I knew that the clock was bang on accurate.

The OAG has been up to mischief again. This morning, while in the kitchen making a shepherd's pie, I looked at the kitchen clock. 11.56am, it said. "Ah ha" I thought, "I will listen to the news on the radio at 12noon". The gremlin, almost immediately, moved the clock on to 12.11pm so that I missed the news. The sod.

Everyone's culinary efforts yesterday sounded impressive and Jill's M & S joint sounded great. And all those vegetables Jill!! Sorry Bungus forgot his rice-pudding nutmeg. I'm ashamed to admit our rice-puddings these days come out of tins. And you were right, the lamb-shoulder was fatty. So while making the pie today I scraped every teeniest vestige of fat off each bit of meat before 'mullicrushing' it in my food-processor, then some tomato purée, left over yesterdays gravy, finely diced mushroom, topped with mashed potato. And, as it was going in the oven I did a tray off sliced courgettes and some more of the french shallots. Served with carrots and sugar-snap peas (prolly travelled thousands of air-miles. Sorry!) But it was nicer then yesterday. Isn't it strange?

We have the Mansfield NT's Xmas Social tomorrow evening and Gordon usually does some excellent picture work through the projector but his laptop is playing up. So he is popping over around 7pm this evening to see if mine will act as a replacement. I'm sure it will. It will be nice if Sue comes too and then she and Y can chat while we do boring computer stuff.

It was nice to have a lovely newsy e-mail from Madeline and I was pleased that she and her's are all OK. I'm sure I've missed stuff out today. But I'll catch up tomorrow.

Tarrah................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have still to watch the last hour of ‘Housewife, 49’. I enjoyed the first half (I only picked out 2 possible anachronisms to check on) and was particularly impressed by David Threlfall as the husband. For me, in terms of versatility, he is a 21st century version of Alec Guinness – when you think of him as the Chatsworth Estate drunkard and feckless father in ‘Shameless’, for instance …
The show I have most enjoyed watching for the last couple of weeks has been the full repeat of the ten year old ‘This Life' series – just as fresh, funny, amoral and almost forensically probing and chilling as ever. (not quite the right concluding words but I know what I mean, and hope you will too).

We had run out of baking potatoes today so I baked salad potatoes on skewers like kebabs and they were surprisingly good with cold roast pork, stuffing, apple sauce and baked beans. Then I had some white Stilton (with caramel and pear) and Fox’s Wholemeal Crackers, Jacob’s Choice Grain and Carr’s Melts (correction; I prefer Asda’s cheese biscuits selection to Jacob’s). For supper I finished off my rice pud and prunes.