Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing Day - Brief Blog

A shortish Blog today because we have been busy. Happy busy, but nevertheless time consumingly busy. To begin the day at around 8.30am we were nearly out of milk and all the local supermarkets were closed. Eventually I was lucky and found the Total Garage open, around 2 miles away. They had plenty of milk and the chap in front of me was also buying milk. When we saw John's Yvonne later in the day she said they too were low on milk, so it seems that in matters of milk-mismanagement we were'nt alone.

The sausage, egg and chips was a success and then after lunch John and Yvonne arrived with my big grand-daughters Laura and Alannah. They grow more beautiful and striking each month and it was good to hear all their news. As I think I've mentioned John can retire in 2 years and they plan a 6 month tour in their campervan prior to a decision as to where to settle down. France still seems to be favourite ! Good luck to them !

Later on we watched the last in the 3 part series about Christmas art. The subject today was Gauguin's "Gods Son" and it was really good to know more about this unusual and striking approach to the Nativity. It shocked most people at the time and it was interesting to see that it still has the power to shock modern audiences.

The Picture (only 1 today) is of one of my colourful Xmas presents. I had asked Santa for a book-rest which was smaller and lighter than the solid metal one I use in the kitchen. And this is what he brought me. What a captivating design concept; and aren't people clever? The book (one of Bungus's on loan) is included solely to give scale. I'm certainly not going to use my little book-chair as it is called, in the kitchen because it would get messed up.

We are certainly not back to normal tomorrow. Shopping is needed. Thursday Debra comes up and we are going over to Tracy's. Friday I am going on a photo-jaunt with EPS to Elvaston Castle and loads of other things coming up.

..... Better to be busy rather than have nothing to do though...........

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your book chair, I could do with one of those so I can read while I knit. The damn paperbacks won't stay open.....

I also enjoyed the prog. about the Annunciation - unfortunately I missed the next two, hopefully they will be repeated.

I'm all for people eating what they want - we had Romney Marsh Lamb,but I cooked a chicken and a piece of ham for eatng cold as well.

I've got pints of milk - but no bread......

Anonymous said...

We also messed up on the milk front. Luckily the Total garage just over the road had plenty of milk on boxing day so we didn't actually run out but it was close. I'm not usually sure that photos need to be scaled by other objects but the book chair certainly needed it as it looks like a deck chair for someone with a very small bottom. Sky always says that she needs a book rest when she is reading in bed.

Anonymous said...

Each to their own, as you say, but, personally, I cannot find anything to say in favour of your AntiChristmas approach to food. And the rest, for me, is mostly humbug.
I am unentranced by the NECESSARY giving and receiving of presents (all right, apart from ONE for each appropriate child). To me it is a complete waste of time and money (which does not mean that I do not appreciate much of what people give to me: fancy cheeses and crackers from Waitrose, bottles of wine, knickers, for instance) but the only 2 presents I bought this year I sent for in September and saved them (I would have bought them anyway, because I thought they were appropriate).

The one thing that makes Xmas worthwhile and different for me (we seldom have a roast otherwise, now, except at Easter) is the FEASTING (and [now] moderate boozing).
Tough on Sandra, although I suppose she sees it as one of her duties to the family.
But, having spent a week in bed with her back, she took it easy this year.

So Xmas Day (just Dan & Emma with us) it was
1) (provided by Emma) a prawn and smoked trout salad with a choice of mayonnaises,
2) a roast pheasant and half a leg of pork with pan gravy, home-made stuffing, apple sauce, cranberry sauce and a variety of veg: viz; roast and mashed spuds, roast parsnips, brussels, carrots and red cabbage with apple, followed by
3) Xmas pud with rum sauce or hot brandied clementines with ice-cream.

Boxing Day (Steph, David, Jessica, Alex & Ryan, Dan & Emma)
1) loads of prawns (mainly for Steph) with a lemony mayonnaise, or pate (one of the tins you gave me)
2) a baked ham with Cumberland sauce, leeks in white sauce, new poptatoes (I would have preferred p. Ana but …) and a roast duck with peas, sweetcorn and green beans (and new potatoes)
3) Fresh fruit salad and ice cream.
That set me up for the embarrassing fomal distribution of presents.
I managed a cold pork sandwich, with Branston, for my supper.

This morning (Wed) for my (late) breakfast I had cold pheasant, reheated crushed new potatoes, cold peas, sweetcorn and green beans, redcurrant jelly and bread sauce (from Cross & Blackwell packet but quick and not bad). And 3 delicious Elizabeth Shaw Cherry Liqueur chocolates.

What for tea?

Anonymous said...

They weren't really poptatoes although I like the soundof them!