Sunday, December 24, 2006

Merry Xmas - Braising Steak

Please accept delivery of our in-house Xmas card. Genuine hoar-frost on our own holly, and text (with drop-shadow) achieved in PhotoShop.

Picture 2 is the judges in Strictly Come Dancing giving Mark & Karen straight tens. They went on to win quite convincingly but Matt & Lilia did very well and Matt came across as a real English sportsman, dignified in defeat and speaking words of genuine praise for Mark and Karen. It has been a terrific show. Bruce and Tess have been excellent in the way they have dealt with the demands of a 'live' show. The band and singers also deserve a special mention. It must be very difficult to produce a Beatles classic such as 'Eleanor Rigby' live with a convincing sound and, of course, live and to a strict tempo for the benefit of the dancers.

Steve and Lisa and the children came for lunch and I did one of my 'signature dishes' - braising steak and onions. On this occasion though, the onions were replaced by the french-shallots which are perfect for the job. Needless to say I produced 'roast potatoes' (Desirée), brussells, brocolli, carrots and yorkshire puddings. And lashings of gravy. Followed by an assortment of pudding choices and finishing with a cheese board and Italian coffee. All went well. Afterwards we opened some presents, explaining that Santa's Brinsley Representative had called. This was greeted with some suspicion but fortunately, my blurry photo of the back of the sleigh put people's minds at rest.

With Tracy not 'doing' New Years Eve this year David and Helen decided to step into the breach. Unfortunately, in between their decision and now, Derek & Betty have invited us and we have accepted, and Tracy is already committed. Such a shame because we would much rather go to David's - but we aren't the sort of people who accept an invite and then renege on the commitment because we get a better offer. We've known several of those over the years. It is so rude.

Last night I didn't sleep very well and at a time I would normally be sound asleep (11pm-12md) I caught the Garrison Keiller show on BBC7 radio. He read one of his own stories about a Norwegian Spruce Xmas tree. Great stuff - he still writes like an angel. Later I had one of my damned 'lucid dreams'. A worry dream that I've had before. I am a young PC on the beat and I can't find my way back to the Police Station. In last night's version almost each time I turned a corner I was faced with a view of the sea. And I never worked in a coastal-town. I seemed to remember that the Police Station was up a hill somewhere but as soon as I reached a summit I was faced with yet another sea-view. I woke up around 4.50am and decided to get up, because I didn't want to get back into the dream. Yorkshire puddings were being mixed by 5.15am and by 6am the vegetables were prepared.

When I rang David I wished Sky 'happy birthday' and she told me all about her presents. When they came over I forgot to give them their 'posters' about trees and things, and their copy of 'Our Island Story' which has had to be republished. We shall see them soon though.

Hope you all have a super day. Tomorrow's issue - or not - will depend on commitments. Should be OK though............

No comments: