Thursday, December 07, 2006

Burton Joyce Day - EPS tonight

When I was photographing the sunrise yesterday I needed my birthday tripod because of the low light, and the slow shutter speeds. While it was still set up, I thought what about trying for movement across the frame? This is the result. As soon as the car appeared I clicked and the camera gave it maybe a half second exposure. Ergo - 'blur suggesting movement' but I'm not sure that you can identify it as a car!

Yesterday's 'sunrise' picture has earned 16 ticks so far, in my online photomagazine. My previous highest was 7. . Before leaving these issues, I rang the Royal Photographic Society this morning with a view to rejoining. Their journals used to be so enjoyable. They welcomed me back, 'open arms' were mentioned, and they have reinstated my Licentiateship. So it's LRPS again. I make no claim to consistency in these matters.

Picture 2 is four of the glorious beech-trees on Long Lane which runs from the A614 to Ravenshead. I couldn't include more, without unsightly cars and heaps of hardcore intruding. I had taken Y to Burton Joyce because there were 'bags of things which will remain nameless' to be brought back. And I wanted a picture of these trees as a 'record-shot'.

The light wasn't perfect but OK and I actually like this time of the year when you can see through trees without those nuisance leaves blocking your view. Loads of places in Derbyshire, during the winter, have marvellous vistas where you wouldn't suspect them.

My day has been quite busy. Loads of bits of jobs. One of which was to scrub my Ikea bag, which serves as my laptop carrier. I like it because being a pale biscuitty colour I hope it doesn't give away what it contains. But it gets grubby. After I had scrubbed it I discovered that the OAG had put some papers in the outside pocket. Soaked. Now dred in the airing-cupboard and they look presentable enough. Just!

I am due to collect Y from Moor Bridge trampark later, so as to miss the horrendous traffic on the A610. And, after that, to Eastwood for the camera-club. The chap tonight is talking and exhibiting on the subject of Underground in Derbyshire's abandoned Metal Mines. Sounds fascinating.

I'll make myself abit of tea I think...............................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wednesday’s sunrise picture is far from being a favourite of mine (several tramshots, seasides, and others appeal far more). In fact, as my mother would have said, “I wouldn’t give it house room.”
But it obviously takes all sorts, don’t it? (inc LRPSs, who have a right to demand an ear and an eye). An’ in’t that good?

I like the beeches picture but think it a pity about the branch in the top right hand corner. A case where the diagonal does the picture no favours at all, I think? (I know, it's a record photo).

I haven’t scrubbed any Ikea bags lately but yesterday I made a batch of hedgerow jelly (rowanberries, sloes, elderberries, rosehips, blackberries, crab apples). I don’t go along with the clarity business because I cannot believe that a bit of cloudiness spoils the flavour when accompanying well hung game and I am not entering it in the WI competition. So the juice is dripped through a sieve rather than a silk stocking.

And today it is to be Delia’s bitter Seville marmalade (from oranges which have been in the freezer for 2 years, all but a month, before you tell me they are not in the shops yet).