Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Misty Start - Sunny - John Came

Picture 1 is looking towards Moorgreen Reservoir from Felley access to the M1. You can only just see the reservoir but I was attracted by the misty morning and the subtle tonal recessions from foreground, through middle-distance to faraway skyline.

It seemed romantic and both DHL and Byron would have appreciated it. Not too sure about Sillitoe because he is abit of a townie isn't he?

I thought "You can't fake that in PhotoShop" but you probably can if you know how.

Picture 2 was when I finally arrived at Annesley Old Church and the full sun was creating those great shadows on one of the remaining walls. Why the walls are such an even height, except for the tower, has often mystified me. I 'googled' the problem and discovered that the local council had levelled and capped the walls to make them safer. Rather a vandalistic thing to do in my opinion.

Each time I visit I expect to be joined by the ghost of a cowled monk. If I was I would ask if it was OK to take a photograph. Bungus suggests that the only way I'm likely to succeed with my 'enjambed' grave stone, is to go in the middle of the night with a powerful torch to give a raking light to pick out the words.

I guess my monk would be more likely to turn up too.

Anyway - to return to more mundane matters. For Jill - 'Charlotte' is just the name of a variety of salad potato, not some exotic way of cooking them. They have much to commend them. Evenly shaped, and a wash will do for preparation prior to cooking. Waxy textured, they don't collapse, and have a good flavour. And, if you cook too many, they are excellent the following day, cold.

Y watched 'Born Equal' and enjoyed it even though it was rather dour. But that is what Robert Carlyle does best, and usually the same as he did last time. She thought she had taped the Julie Walters 'Driving Lessons' which Bob spoke so highly of. But we can't find it.

John came today which was nice and he is trying to organise people for a visit on Boxing Day afternoon when they are taking Laura back to Sheffield anyway. His Xmas cheque had gone astray so we gave him another and 'stopped' the existing one. We had wondered - because it hadn't been paid in. We decided it was worth 'stopping'. I know it is supposed to be impossible to do anything with a cheque if it isn't drawn in your favour. But these 'shops' offering 'instant cash for cheques' seem to be springing up everywhere.

Still struggling with Capture NX in conjunction with PhotoShop. It doesn't seem possible to move a picture from Capture to PS without reducing it to a JPEG, which rather defeats the whole object. Not to worry - eventually it will yield.

.....Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would say that Picture 1 does exactly what water colourists try to do (the good ones succeed). As you say, romantic, in the best sense.

I like the tracery shadows on Picture 2 as well. I suppose the council were thinking of maintenance costs as well as Health & Safety, which is understandable. Myself, I think there is something to be said for letting things decay when they are no longer being used. But …

If you are there in the burial ground in the middle of the night and a sort of mist rises from in front of a headstone and appears to be taking on human form (possibly with horns and a forked tail) I think that might be a good time to consider going home. On the other hand you might want to take a photo.

Yes, I only think of Charlotte as a very good salad potato. Potatoes Anna, however … lovely with baked ham, leeks in white sauce and Cumberland sauce. One of my favourite meals.

I agree with Jill that Julie Walters overdoes it at times (as I mentioned in my commendation).
I decided against ‘Born Equal’, not just because it sounded less amusing but it is a two parter and I would be unable to watch or tape the second episode. Sandra watched it though and was impressed. Of the two, I think 'Driving Lesson' is more likely to be repeated.