Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Frosty & Misty - David's Visit

As you will see from Picture 1 it was so misty this morning that you couldn't see any trees at all across the football field. And the tree opposite the front gate stood in splendid isolation. There was also a heavy frost. There is just one leaf still attached to the tree. Extreme right just under halfway up.

I decided against waiting to see if it dropped off so I could catch it falling. It was far too cold.

Y was still over at Tracy's having stayed there after their annual visit to the Carol Concert in the Concert Hall which is part of Tracy's responsibilites. Their great wish, to be "five golden rings" was not realised yet again!. They were "four calling birds" so they weren't far away. They had a super time though and the quality of the singing and playing was quite remarkable.

David and Helen and Sky and Brooke came over to see us and were sorry to miss Y, but she can't be in two places at once. I gave them each a 'cut-out and baubles etc.' bag, so they had something to be playing with in the lead-up to Xmas. Everybody, parents and grandad included had a smashing morning. Each kit contained a pair of scissors. Quite safe, no sharp points or anything and you could cut crinkly shapes with them. Brooke loved them and Helen said she guessed they would be 'favourite present' this year.

I gave them one of my pictures, a sunrise, and they arranged some completed figures in front of it.

As you can see, Santa and The Angel managed to hold hands. The girls positioned Santa so that my bit of lens-flare in the sunrise came out of his ear. The Angel looks as if she had a good night last night. The dogs and people were good, and there was also a girl with a dog, but her head wouldn't stay on so she missed out on the photo-opportunity.

Both Helen and David are so brilliant with the kids, they are very lucky to have such lovely parents. I showed them how to do a Xmas tree shape by starting off with a little triangle and then superimposing larger triangles under the top one until you have a tree of the required size. All you need to do then is put a trunk underneath and presto. So Brooke did me an extra personalised Xmas card with a star on top and baubles on the branches. And she wrote it herself.

I went on the Amateur Photography forum and posted a query re my difficulties in moving stuff between Capture NX and Photoshop Elements. Within the hour an expert had solved it. It lies in the difference between 8 bits and 16 bits (please dont even think of asking) and when I clicked 'save as' I also clicked 8 bits instead of the 16 bit default. I subsequently did a picture and it worked like a dream. There is always someone who knows.

Y is back now, so I'm off............................. Y made a lovely ham sandwich and we watched Strictly Come. Good interview with Brucie - he really is a trouper and WE like him.

.. It's 8pm - glass of milk time.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nottingham was all foggy and Brinsley very misty but all was bright and clear in Ollerton (from 8.00 am anyway) with that low bright winter sun hiding identities. The clarity may be seen from the photo of a big duck and seagulls which I sent.
But I was wrong about shadows not falling on water. Not laughable but (regrettably, on this occasion) unphotographable, as Chet Baker might have sung.

A bit of pedantry called for, I feel. Nothing can be superimposed UNDER something because ‘super’ means ‘above’. Is there a word ‘subimposed’, I wonder? I shall look it up and not tell you.

I suppose someone has to like Brucie ... Trouper is not the word I would use.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the parenting vote of confidence. Helen and I were talking about how well you interacted with the children, they had a great time messing with the photo shoot! well done you!! Sorry to have missed Yvonne, sure to cach up soon. Strange though it may seem, we also have an appreciation of Bruces talents.