Sunday, December 03, 2006

Messing-about Day - Wet and Windy

I think the rose is Iceberg, but not absolutely sure, and it has survived on a north-facing fence till 2nd December. In Gardeners World it came top of a popularity poll - due in my opinion to the very dry summer. The variety is old and hates wet weather, quickly becoming pock-marked and knackered. "Who isn't?....." I hear a chorus from the north of the county. I haven't done much 'photoshopping' on it just darkened a couple of obtrusive leaves and administered a firm 'crop'.

While I was in the garden I nipped round with the camera to see what we actually have still showing colour.

Picture 2 is a 'collage' of the results.

Y's 'poached egg' (bottom right and centre) seems to have borne the odd flower all the way through from last year). It is one of the plants she is very good with, getting large carpets wherever she wants, to the mild irritation of the neighbours who can't get it to go at all.

And good old Bowle's Mauve (bottom centre) certainly has never been out of flower. We've got some outside the kitchen door and it has just flowered and flowered. The winter-flowering jasmine, or 'sparrow-ville' as I think we should call it, is of course bang in season (top centre) and it is so welcome on a dull day to look out of the window and see some colour.
"..........to unawakened earth,
The trumpet of a prophecy! O, Wind.
If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"



...............Shelley (1819)

The Culture Show was good. Ziro did a very good piece on 'designer handbags' a Mark Jacobs being the central variety. Worth over a 'grand' one can hire them for the day to cut a dash! Surely though, in Central London your mugworthiness must zoom upwards? Alastair was back and interviewed a Scottish artist, Peter Howson, whose pictures were most impressive.

The cricketers are doing very well - First Innings 551 for 6 declared. And Shane Warne 1 for 167 - Ha Ha Ha!. A bowling genius however. The aussies are fighting back though so I hope I haven't tempted providence.

I had a nice chat with David and aparently JD has read and enjoyed the Blog and wants to enter a comment. It would be lovely if he did ! We have known him since we lived at Rostellen. But everyone seems to be having difficulty with this 'word verification' function. Also, Bob seems on the point of getting a Blog of his own going. I'm looking forward to the BungusBlog so that I can leave impertinent comments thereon! And the dining room chairs at Belvoir were very red - it wasn't anything I did honest!!

Catch yer temorrer.......................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I too thought Peter Howson’s work very powerful; a sort of cross between mediaeval and comic book. Not absolutely sure that I LIKED IT though.


Re ‘comments’. One needs to make quite sure that the comment has been accepted; and, if necessary enter it again and again.
This last couple of days, however, I have been first-time successful by 1) pasting in my comment, 2)clicking on ‘other’ and 3)putting in my name BEFORE 4) trying Word Verification. No gurantees though!
(it didn't work this time !!!)

‘Bob seems on the point of getting a Blog of his own going.’ may be something of an exaggeration. But, if and when, I look forward to being mildly insulted on a regular basis. Only fair.
I am sure the Belvoir chairs were very red. Sorry if I have made you paranoid !!