Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Nat Trust Cttee Meeting - Football field empty - Gypsies gone

The first 2 pictures are from John's holiday, and I still find it hard to believe, they were taken on his mobile-phone camera.

These are the rapids on the River Ardeche where they managed to capsize their canoe. The link takes you to a clickable gallery of official photos. But none better than John's. The two person canoe (mid frame left) conveys the 'feel' very well.

He blames their capsize on Yvonne (that's his Yvonne, not mine) but I don't think he is serious.

The second picture shows the fortress town of Carcassonne in the distance. I think this is one of their favourite places ! It always reminds me of the scene in El Cid when they strapped Charlton Heston to his horse and he came zooming out of the door/portcullis/ whatever you call the 'way out' of a castle. The link takes you right back. That music ! And the distant view of the fort looks like John's snap. I'm not sure of the correct name for those cone topped towers but they look just right'

Picture 3 shows new growth struggling on Lisa's 'wisteria' . She's tried to do the pruning according to the book but has now decided to leave it to its own devices for a year or two. Prolly be covered in bloom this time next year.

This morning we had a full committee meeting at Mansfield National Trust and everything went more smoothly than expected. Y's report on the 'Schools Visits' was well received and we can now contact the Head Teachers. The idea is that we fund visits of 30 children at KS2 to Clumber, Hardwick, and The Workhouse.

The Workhouse is favourite for Y and I. They intend to stage an 1841 tour; the children will be met by the Matron in costume, the boys and girls separated, given period workhouse uniform to wear in a schoolroom, where a Victorian 'lesson' will be delivered. It sounds so interesting I would quite like to go myself.

It seems to me to be an admirable use of local National Trust funds.

When we got home we had lunch and then tackled some of the paper-work. 40 Head Teachers to be written to, minutes to be written up and also tomorrow we need to collect Y's walking boots from Joan's, prior to Helen's Lumsdale Walk on Thursday evening. Not to mention the Nat Trst Annual Dinner on Wednesday evening. It was most pleasant last year and should be fun rather than tiresome.

Comments..... Bungus ..... The vaseline body wash is obviously designed to help thin-skinned men who can't take criticism.

You aren't missing anything about the panoramas. They are the same picture, as you say 'apart from the dip'. It is the reason for the dip that is the question.

Thanks for reminding me that the character peering over the wall is Chad.

A Sonnet is 13 lines. A Haiku is 17 syllables.

And I think that a 4 x 4 is fine if you are towing a caravan. They aren't a new idea anyway - we used to say '4 wheel drive' and I can't see what all the fuss is about.

AnonymousRob ..... I'm sure it won't be so hard to place 'people with disabilities' as it has been 'offenders' and I wish you well with it. Provided you don't intend to practice on me. I am completely unemployable and intend to remain so.

Your Haiku is pretty damn good for an early effort. Definitely 16 out of 20, perhaps more. I've know people become addicted to writing them though so beware another time waster....... Thanks for putting me right about my dongle - it certainly sounds as if I need one.

Great note about Granma ! Here is a link for interested readers. Nice lively layout, plus of course, a photo of Ché. Lots in there - I had a poke about in the culture section. Contemporary Cuban Art is fascinating and the link takes you to a hoot of a car picture. I suspect that the car may be a Chevrolet Belle Air, but I don't mind being corrected. Cuba really does qualify as the world-centre for Car Pictures I think. Although a slightly different subject your Cuba photobook courtesy of Aldi was excellent and I intend to have a go mi-sen !

........................................................................


I thought I would move Chad to the other end of his wall. But he insists on re-appearing at his original end. More work required. I wonder if Jill is still chewing her original piece of Kendall Mint Cake. Sleep tight all. See you tomorrow.




.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quick comment from me tonight as we are about to go to the pub to have a meal and get settled for the big game.

Great links to Granma and Cuban Art. Thank you.

The Ardeche picture brings back memories. I went there sometime in the 80s and photographed the canoes and river from the road above. One of them was eventually published in a newspaper travel supplement; I think it was the Sunday Times. I should still have a photocopy somewhere.

Rob

Anonymous said...

Did anyone else watch Sunday’s South Bank interview with Gore Vidal (whom I have never read)?
I found it fascinating; what a sly wit.

John's photos are again impressive.

Will you have time for anything else now that NT has taken you over?

Thanks for the Granma link.
I enjoyed the car picture but cannot identify. The only one I think I would immediately recognise is the 1957 Studebaker; a beautiful creature.
At school, a pupil in the year ahead of me, at a time when the masters arrived on bikes, used to drive up in a big Yankee car (Dodge?) that had a wind up window between driver and passengers (he also owned Nuthall Temple Lake and grounds, and started work as a pupil on the same day as me at Warner & Dean).
I recall only one other motorised pupil; a Sixth Former with a Norton (or was it a Matchless?).

I was also intrigued by the orange erection of the man eating sausages (as opposed to man eating lions).


Rob:

Glad to hear that the job is so worthwhile and satisfying. It must make your heart glad and ensure that you sleep easily.

At 2200cc I suppose it is a rather small tractor. I’ll bet it does better mpg than our old Astra (25?) but to beat a 1.2 engine is remarkable. I accept your reasons for ownership and applaud your responsible driving habits.
What most annoys me is mothers delivering and collecting children from school in military vehicles (cars are bad enough; make the little buggers walk from the nearest carpark, I say; do ‘em good, the little fat sods).
I think the first 4 wheel drives were cars (Audi comes to mind) and not at all aggressive)

I think I have already agreed about Kendal Mint Cake.

A far better haiku than most (I understood it). Very well done.

Quote:
“It wasn’t until the Nobel Prize that they really thawed out. They couldn’t understand my books, but they could understand $30,000.”
(William Faulkner. ‘The Sound and the Fury’ is a favourite book and I also enjoyed ‘Sanctuary’).

Anonymous said...

Great photos - mobile phones must be getting better all the time. I've only got a very basic one.

The wisteria - I have a large hydrangea which gardener moved to back garden - it looked very dead indeed, but I found a new growth on it today - not unlike your photo.

I have passed the Kendal Mint Cake to son - he can break his teeth on them, my dental work is too expensive. I am making do with the peppermint creams bought at Fortnum and Mason, very strong peppermint, much more so than what you usually get.

I have been happily watching the Chelsea Flower Show. Of course I don't agree with the judges, too much green and not enough colour/flowers in the main. All these water features....

And I have rotten hay-fever, and for the first time I have a rash all over hands and arms, but every time I have been working in the garden I wear gloves.

Relieved to hear the travellers have gone. Did they leave a lot of rubbish/mess?

I watched the prog.last night about food during the war - found it interesting, although there were a few so called 'funny' bits I could have done without. I used to love powdered egg! Next week it is Regency.

Back to Chelsea, and shouting at the tv again -