Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rest Day - 30.5 barometer - 66F - Tea at TJ's

Picture 1 is the sunset from Felley Priory island, on my way home from Tracy's. You can just see Crich Tower on the skyline about a fifth in from the right. The reason it isn't on the golden section is that I wanted to include the sunbeams to the left. Tracy invited us over for tea because she and Y are going to Southwell Workhouse tomorrow and Y is staying over at Sherwood. I didn't really want to go again and they will have a super Mum and Daughter day.

We had eaten well at lunchtime, barnsley chops with potato, carrots, courgettes, and delicious runner beans from Peter's garden. With, of course, the obligatory fresh mint sauce. Followed I dare hardly admit by Angel Delight (butterscotch flavour - second childhood or what?). So all we needed was a sandwich at teatime. But TJ doesn't like to serve sandwiches and made (while we were there) a lovely Spanish Omelette with watercress salad and couscous, followed by those custardy things (in shallow individual containers with seared sugar on top ?) whose name escapes me. So - not a strict diet day !

David and I spoke this morning and he had already e-mailed this painting by Sky. She was just starting it when we were last over on August 11th. I don't know whether she has ever seen a Piet Mondrian or not but the influence is unmistakeable.

If you open the link and scroll down to the bottom you will see 'Composition with Color Planes and Gray Lines' - 1918. The 'Sky' painting is so bright and happy it is well wall-worthy. I'll probably print a copy to put on my office-wall because it cheers me up every time I look at it.

The weather has been really beautiful today, high pressure and warm, with little wind and the forecast is reasonable. I'm pleased because David and family have gone to Carsington Water, Blackwall Plantation today, for a week, and there is to be a jamboree later in the week.


You can't beat Horace for a sound quote :-
"He will always be a slave who does not know how to live upon a little"

Roman lyric poet & satirist (65 BC - 8 BC)
I plan a quiet, inactive day for tomorrow. Don't know if it will work out like that ?
.....I can do smilies as well. Sleep tight folks and have a super time if you are planning fun things for tomorrow. Catch you later.

p.s. A new button has appeared in the toolbar at the top of my blog-post. Apparently I an now 'add a video'. Something else to learn about !

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice sky and Crich stand picture; all shades of lilac/purple/indigo on my screen!

Crème caramel? By no means a favourite of mine but that is a personal thing.
I had some lovely fresh runner beans too, with baby King Edwards (I think) both from Emma's allotment, and barramundi (a pleasant enough fish which I would not bother with again. The flesh does not come away from the bones; very strange!)

I very much like Sky’s painting even thoughI do not know what the real colours are! No 50p clue but from the floor pattern I would suppose it might be A3?

I remember going to Blackwall Plantation when we were briefly caravanners. Is it the same as Carsington Water? I know that they are geographically close and I think Carsington had not been completed when we went (c 1986/87?). I recall it as a pleasant site with nice little private glades of a few vans; but rather gloomy, being all conifers and no birds.