Sunday, August 19, 2007

Wet Rest Day - 63F - Mansfield Sculptures

Following on from 'The Feather' in previous blog this is a Bungus picture of a further recent Mansfield addition. The Sculptures (please click) seem great to me. This one is entitled 'High Heels' and was unveiled by a drag-queen. I suppose we could have guessed the title and I was close when I thought they reminded me of the iron things you used to see in cobbler's shops.

This is the only appropriate picture that googling (or 'boobling' as Bungus now has it) could provide me with but I feel sure you will agree with my stab.

'High Heels' is dramatic. It stands 6 metres high and against the old viaduct as the picture demonstrates it is eye-catching. Just hope that no-one has a car-accident while their attention is distracted from the road to 'matters artistic'.

The weather has been awful again but one feels that, in view of Hurricane Dean it is improper to winge about a little wind and rain. The poor people in Yorkshire and Colchester and other areas were badly flooded but, small mercy, their houses were still standing at the end of it. Wind speeds in The Caribbean and New Mexico may reach 150mph and little can withstand that.

So a gentle little picture of members of a blue-tit family in the rain. The starlings were fully occupied falling out where the 'fat balls' are.

Why-ever anyone decided that the group name for starlings should be a 'murmuration' eludes me. Whatever else the warlike, ill-tempered, aggressive, quarrelsome creatures do, they certainly don't murmur do they? I won't bore you with a research link but apparently the phrase only dates back to 1470, so we can't blame Chaucer !

Comments. At least the TV critic of Saturday's Telegraph Review agreed with Y and I about the Robbie Coltrane prog. He liked it and the two bits he mentioned particularly were two we particularly liked. The small town who weighed the Mayor before he commenced Office and then weighed him again after his year to see if too much junketting had gone on. A charming practice which should be extended. And the Airship Hangars at Cardington - awe-inspiring !

And Bungus's mention of the landscape pictures in the Gryff Rees-Jones 'Mountains' series leads me, sadly, to point out that they now admit that the closing sunset was a 'computer generated' image. You can all trust Radiogandy's blog however, not brilliant but nothing faked. Thanks for the super Noel Coward quote Jill, and, now I have read it again, you are astute to point out that the Rick Stein recipe which sounded so exotic is nothing more than cinnamon flavoured lasagne/bolognese. Ho Hum as Ray says. And how the critics managed to review the missing 'Inspector Lynley' must remain a mystery ?

You are also right about the Omar Sharif/horizon scene. Another one, which sticks in the mind and still carries the power to shock even if you have seen it several times, is Magwitch jumping out from behind the gravestone in Great Expectations. Both films directed by David Lean.

My quote for the day is IT orientated :-

"imagine if every Thursday your shoes exploded if you tied them the usual way. This happens to us all the time with computers, and nobody thinks of complaining"


Enjoy the coming week. Sleep tight and I'll catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The reflections off the ‘high heels’ are stunning. I was surprised to be so impressed by this sculpture.
The cobbler’s equipment in your picture (which may or may not be a ‘last’ – or perhaps no more than a penultimate?) is much taller than the domestic shoe-mending thingy, which we always knew as a ‘hobbing foot’, presumably because it was used in fixing hobnails. I believe I have two of them somewhere in the garage. I shall find one and photograph it.

Having a son whose family lost everything when a massive hurricane (I forget its name but it was a renowned one) hit Homestead just south of Miami in 1992(?), I am very conscious of the damage they can cause. Having moved up to Daytona, they were hit by a somewhat less destructive one a few years ago. And then there was the ‘wildfire’ that came within a mile or so of their property.
I suppose there must be a reason why people live in such places.

Yes, a ‘nastiness’ of starlings would be more appropriate.

I will concede that the aircraft hanger was impressive, but still think the rest of programme was twee and trite (and embarrassing for Robbie C).
RG must know that newspaper critics invariably get previews of several episodes of all major new series and that, consequently, their reviews are written well before the transmission dates.

Other film moments:
The first arrow thudding into he chest of the meek little man in the ‘Stagecoach’.
The eponymous ‘Zulu’(s) appearing on the skyline above Rorke's Drift.
The head of the drowned sailors bobbing suddenly into the porthole in ‘Jaws’.
The ‘knife fight’ in ‘Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid’.
'Rosebud'.

Saturday’s errata:
1) I wrote principal when it should have been principle (thanks RG).
2) And how far wrong can one be?
In the ArtDaily video, Elvis isn’t singing the Battle Hymn of the Republic. Very much to the contrary, he is singing the Confederate anthem ‘I Wish I was In Dixie’.
(I get just as confused between ‘The Internationale’ and ‘The Red Flag’ – and always have done).