Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Dovedale with WOW - Great Day - Sunny !

First things first and we all hope that Jill is recovering steadily from her 'vicious virus'. What an awful thing to happen! and so soon after her hospital sojourn to be back there amongst presumably drunken revellers. Did you have antibiotics and things ?

I agree Bungus that e-mailing and blogging are addictive. Especially when one's blog has 'a 2/3 pictures a day habit' to feed.

Re Steven's garden. The formal Victorian bit nearest the camera, was designed by a pro. garden designer who they christened 'Long Tall Sally' and its installation was done by she and two Polish workmen who couldn't speak English. Our garden chap Alex also does work there and it is rather lovely isn't it? Steven works very hard and is successful, so we think it is great that he spends some of it on providing such a beautiful environment for his family.

Our WOW day to Dovedale went exceptionally well. Y came with us for the walk. She thoroughly enjoyed herself. There were five of us and we took two cars and it worked out. The air was utterly clear, as was the Dove, we used to swim in the deep bits as lads when it reaches Mappleton and it is one of the coldest rivers I know. The trip was quite nostalgic for me. I took loads of pictures.

Some commenters tell me I should include figures in pictures, to give an idea of scale. So in Picture 1, I asked these three people to nip smartly up, towards the peak of Thorpe Cloud and when they were suitably framed a third of the way in, and against the sky I clicked. I didn't know whether to go for dappled shade, babbling brook, trees, mountains, or what ?

Picture 2 is some 'scree' that has always been like that, and as lads we used to race down it. Part running, part sitting and sliding and falling over, and the winner was lucky to stay out of the water at the bottom. There was no shortage of cut knees but we didn't seem to bother about such things then did we?

The 'fit four' went off up the dale and left me 'faffing about' at my own pace and then we met up at around 12.30pm.

Picture 3 is typical Dovedale and I was pleased I lugged my tripod with me ecause there wasn't as much light under the trees as you would think. And I had decided on ISO 100, RAW, and f16 for sharpness front to back. I used my 50mm prime quite a lot and it really is sharp. There were hundreds of people around and the children are still on holiday. But they were all very well behaved and if you are a lad it is a rule of nature that you throw stones in the water. We were also delighted at the absence of litter ! And no dog-mess either, even thought there were lots of dogs. All i all an excellent day.

We then headed to The Railway Inn at Shottle (I was going to post you a link, but they don't seem to have a website tut! tut) where the statutory chip-buttie was consumed. Nice conversation and then home. Steven has just been on Google Chat which was fun and it is good that he already only needs one crutch rather than two. And it seems like it is 'all systems go' for Carsington on Friday. Lisa will have to drive obviously but it isn't all that far. Just hope this weather holds. It will be great to see the children together. Pity Debra is so far away. And John's are all grown-up.

I mentioned the Chevrolet Belair again to Reg but he couldn't place it, so please clicky here and all will be revealed. When I was in my 3o's I really coveted one. Too many rock & roll films I suppose. The pictures don't really do them justice, they were magnificent !

Quote for the day :-

"Ask yourself whether you are happy, and you cease to be so"

John Stuart Mill

A canny old bird I always thought.

I'm almost certain the full moon is tonight. I can't see any missing bits anyway. It would yield to a simple google, but I'm tired. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.
I think the 'sheep dog' is due for an airing !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back, sheepdog, that's my favourite.

Lovely photos - I looked up where you had all been, I don't know that part of the world. And sunshine too! Surprised that the scree is not cordoned off by'elf and safety....

Good that Steven is getting better, do hope the decent weather lasts for him and family.

I didn't actually go to hosp. in small hours, reading my comment back it is a bit ambiguous so will explain further. I had dreadful abdominal pains (wuth no other symptoms, so not food poisoning) that doubled me up and got steadily worse, rang NHS durect (useless) two hours later a dr. rang me back, when he heard how old I was he said ' I am sending ambulance' - we explained what we wanted was a GP visit, but he hung up.....Six minutes later ambulance duly arrived, two lovely ladies could have been straight from 'Casualty' who were thoroughly 'p..... off' with the system, said 'they' were always doing that, wouldn't send out GPs. They entirely agreed that A & E was not the place for me, they had taken two stabbings in already and numerous druggies/drunks and there was 5 hr wait. One said she would certainly not take her mother there....isn't that a dreadful state of affairs. They requested visit from GP, seven hours later one came (they gave me something which took edge off it). This was an Italian woman doctor, gorgeous, think Sophia Loren in her fifties, all hair and flashing eyes. Cheered R up no end! She was apologetic and also 'p..... off' she would/could have come much earlier had she been told. She gave me an injection, prescription, said it was a virus and that it was going around area.

I slept away most of Sat & Sunday (we had both been up all night...) but am now much better, but it took it out of me for a couple of days.

Sorry to have taken up so much room on your blog with my medical bulletin!

Anonymous said...

I’ve forgotten what WOW means. Could it be World of Wonder, i wonder?

Swimming in the Dove sounds like torture. It has always been my opinion that there is no outdoor water in or around Britain that is ever warm enough to enter above knee level.
I did my real swimming at Sherwood Baths but the children’s pool there was about my good enough; the temperature of bathwater.

I am one of those much inclined to the view (geddit?) that landscapes need figures to make them interesting (with the possible exception of the Matterhorn, eg) but I thought the sticky up bits at the top of the hill (on photo 1) were just that!

I recall screeing down the Glyders when 17. I had never had access to mountains as a child; Notts is much gentler country than Derbyshire. But I was remarking to someone only last week that I never had both knees unscraped from the age of 3 to 14. Of course, in those days we wore shorts, year in, year out, until we were britched. Impetigoedy knees and chapped thighs are my abiding memories of childhood. How good it was. Kids today don’t know what they are missing.

Pleased to hear Steven is making such a rapid recovery; here’s hoping it continues without let.

I have never been a fan of Chevvies; far too flashy for my simple taste.
One American car I was very fond of, and still am, was the Studebaker circa 195?. I took a photo of one in Tripoli in ‘58. The picture is b&w and not too sharp, even though taken with a Tessar lens, but I shall scan it and email (not for blogging though; just not good enough).

I hope it IS the night of the full moon; I could do with a good howl.

Anonymous said...

Jill's comment didn't appear until after I had logged mine.

What a fiasco!
It doesn't sound as though a gin & gripe water would have cured that!
But I must say that NHS Direct has always been excellent on the few occasions we have needed to use it (not for some time). Perhaps some things work better out here in the sticks?