Friday, August 17, 2007

Mansfield - Sainsburys - Scampi & Chips

Before we leave the subject of 'Attie' I think Timothy's suggestion of a cable-spool is more or less spot on and Picture 1 is from the link to images of cable-spools that he kindly provided. And the size of the spool shown is nearly an exact match for our 'monster'.

Rob was a little unkind to mention the quality of Reg's pictures. He was after all hand-holding a long lens to catch a momentary glimpse of an interesting phenomena at my request ! And no Bungus, the movement was the object's not Reg's. We were at the right extremity of the permitted bit of balcony we were standing on. Oh dear! The pressures of blogging !

I had sent the blog including the pictures to BBC Nottingham and one of their lady reporters rang feeling there might be a story. Also there was an e-mail from Dan Sinclair. Unfortunately I had to tell them that Timothy seemed to have 'shot the fox'. Fame proves elusive, yet again, and Reg won't make a £million out of his Loch Ness Monster type pictures.

We had both slept fairly well and my leg/back ache was less horrifying than usual, so, after coffee we decided to nip to Mansfield Library, shopping, check Jessops closing down sale where at last there seem to be some meaningful discounts. 70% off some things - but mostly off stuff that I neither need nor want. Odd sized filters for old film cameras etc., but no decent lenses at knockdown prices, or top quality paper.

Parking at the bottom of St John's Street was easy and a walk left, a few yards away into the bottom of what used to be Chesterfield Road allowed us to have a look at one of the new Sculptures, The Feather, and we both love it. The fronds of the feather twinkle excitingly in the sun and I saw several people pause long enough to have a good look.

And I have discovered another charity shop. An RSPCA one. So that can go on my list for future reference. I took my James Delingpole 'How To Be Right' back to the Library because I had ordered it from Amazon late on Wednesday evening and it arrived today. And I hadn't requested Express Delivery because it is more expensive. Amazon must have done an amazing amount of damage to the retail book shops. The cover price of my book is £12.99p - Amazon price, brand new, £7.99p and when I unpacked it there was an offer of 250 FREE Business Cards for Amazon customers. And not the plain black & white paper jobs either, these are heavyweight, and bright and colourful - you choose from 42 'stylish designs'. I've just got to send for those. What the hell I shall use them for is another matter !

Sainsburys for essentials and then home for Scampi and Chips. It has managed to stay dry all day and with the temperature just over 60F, very pleasant. 'Balmy' was a word which sprang ro mind. Before leaving 'comments' I finally persuaded our video machine to play the Robbie Coltrane B Road Britain show and "Sorry folks. What was your problem?" We enjoyed the zany places and people and felt he was good with them. And apart from travelling from 'tulips and no leaves on the trees' through 'fully foliaged' and back to 'early spring' all allegedly during a oneway journey from London to Scotland, it was comfortable enough viewing. Just a minor 'continuity glitch' I guess.

I have changed the quotation sources on my iGoogle homepage to include Sam Johnson, Churchill and Thomas Carlyle. The first quote is Churchillian :-

"Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened"
Winston Churchill

.......Bungus is Jaunt Planning and a prelim. of his suggestions seem very encouraging. If we have as much fun as we did at Yorkshire Sculpture Park I shan't complain. Sleep tight.

n.b. clicked pictures enlarge (although I suspect the cable-spool wont) and Orange writing is a live link. i.e. click it and magic occurs.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I doubt if honesty is always the best policy. I think you should have accepted BBC Nottingham’s suggestion and let the Attenborough Monster story run.
A real Andy Warhol quarter hour missed for Reg..

I’m pleased you managed to get a decent photo of the Feather. Apparently the third (in fact the first) sculpture IS in place although I don’t know where. It is called Amphitheatre.

Speaking of ‘balmy’ or ‘barmy’, and re yesterday's blog comment; things don't get any better!
I realised this morning that I had run out of my blood pressure pills and I couldn't remember whether I had
1) forgotten to reorder,
2) reordered and forgotten to
collect the prescription,
3) collected the prescription
and not been to the
chemists,
4) taken the scrip to the
chemists but forgotten to
return to collect the
pills, or
5) collected the pills and
lost or mislaid them!
It is normally a 2 day wait for a prescription (which would have meant no medication till Monday).
So I went to the docs' and discovered that I had forgotten to reorder. The receptionist, not one of the old breed, didn't give me a hard time and arranged for me to collect a scrip at 11.00.
When it came time to return I couldn't find my car keys but eventually discovered, by retracing my steps, that I had dropped them on the front lawn while picking tomatoes.
I got to the surgery but the receptionist had caught the mood, couldn't find the scrip, and had to get another! That made me feel better.
I am now medicated and back to normal:
ie, forgetful and deluded!

But don’t it just show that it wouldn’t do for us all to like the same things?
Robbie Coltrane will no doubt be delighted that someone derived some pleasure from his tedious road movie. I thought it formulaic, not original or interesting enough, and about on a par with Jamie Oliver’s latest series.
I didn’t notice the seasonal changes but, if I had, would have put them down to sloppy editing.

Yet more Ronnie Scott patter (from ‘Some of my Best Friends are Blues’):
The band was playing ‘Tea for One’ and at the end of the number the audience was on its foot.

Anonymous said...

HI. I agree with Bungus about Attie - why let the facts spoil a good story?

My apologies, especially to Reg, if you thought my comments about the quality of the photography were unkind. I meant it as a compliment! I remember shots of Nessie from my youth which appeared in national newspapers. They were very similar to Reg's shot and only served to deepen the mystery. Exactly the kind of picture you need for such a story.

So, in my view, Reg got it spot on!

Rob.