Sunday, August 05, 2007

Another sunny day - 81F - High pressure

Two collages today. No.1 is some of our current garden-flowers and No.2 is from my little trip to the Papplewick Trail this afternoon. If you wanted to be cringe-making you could describe them as 'nature/nurture' in reverse.

Very handy to reach things at Papplewick and I don't think I had to walk more than 50 yards overall for the pictures. Well equipped with seats and a picnic area. There's an 'essential' babbling brook and, allegedly, a water-fall but I didn't go far enough.

The day has been 'English summer' . Over 80F but not humid. I tapped both barometers and they agreed it was around 30 and just on 'fair'. The 30 is some old-fashioned measurement which is now expressed in ISO's but please don't wait for an explanation. If you are desperate, feel free to google or wiki it yourself. By the way, according to my WebUser folks a search-engine called 'WebFetch' is where the action is. It produces for you an amalgam from 'google' 'yahoo' 'ask' etc., and the results therefore are not so google-orientated. However, a word of warning, my McAfee site-advisor only gives it an 'amber' , thereby warning that it might be problematic. Something else I need to research.

I haven't had time today to sort out iPlayer but Ray' i.e.'ourstanley' has got his going no problem. If anyone was going to sail through it it would be Ray, god bless him. Some lovely pictures arrived from Jill's house-sitting sojourn and there's a couple that I would like to 'blog'. I wouldn't use anything with known people thereon, obviously. And thanks for the Pulmo Bailly info. I researched it and the result is under that clickable title. Apparently Boots stock it and it sounds just the job, just like old-fashioned codeine linctus.

Dear Anon 1. I think we had worked out that Anonymous wasn't you. We must hope that he/she can be persuaded to become Anon 2. I'm pretty sure it isn't Reg because although he writes as 'Anonymous' he signs off as 'Reg'. Whatever - the 'comment' was valuable and we hope the contributor stays wth us.

Dear Bungus. I guess we had sussed that your 'comment' about the semi-detached houses was on the wrong 'blog' day but I think your idea of topping up the gripe water with gin will certainly help.

There is an historic pumping station at Papplewick please click here if you would like to read about it.

Unfortunately, the engines are only 'in steam' at Bank Holiday weekends but what an experience ! To see the enormous beam engine in action seems to demonstrate the sheer power and energy of our Victorian ancestors and the Industrial Revolution.

You will notice in the collage only one butterfly which I know is a Red Admiral or Vanessa atalanta. Apparently 'Vanessa' as a girl's name was coined by Jonathan Swift. I didn't realise it should be 'Butterfly Redgrave - a very beautiful woman
with whom in earlier years I was deeply in love. Purely in an abstract sense of course.

A sure sign of old age for a man, is when beautiful elegant young women smile sweetly at you in the street and speak. Fortunately or unfortunately it only means they perceive you as no longer in the age-group that could be a threat. Y says that with young men, they classify her with their 'Mums' and 'Grans' and are invariably attentive and thoughtful.

Back to my Auden's 'Aphorisms' for my quote :-

"Life is not long, and too much of it must not pass in idle deliberation how it shall be spent"

Sam Johnson

..... We both had a much better night last night so lets hope for another. For everybody else too......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I do like tbose two collages - the first one I love the colours, the other one is much less colourful but equally fascinating when you look properly at each photo.

I reckon 'they' have changd the make-up of Pulmo Baille, I am suspicious when things are 'taken over' - I have never ever seen an advert for it, and our Boots certainly doesn't stock it, or at least it didn't last time I asked.

I have got an e-mail back about the BBC thing, have printed off the instructions, but that's as far as I have got. I had a computer literate grand-daughter here this afternoon (14 going on 25) showing me some more thngs I could do with photographs (if I csn remember even one thing I shall be doing well, she goes too quickly for me) and she didn't undestand the form, or some of the vocabulary either. I wait to see how you get on....

Anonymous said...

You know my views on weather – look out of the window.
Sunday – too hot.

Only monochrome photos mean anything to me at ther moment as my monitor has changed colours. Just shades, mainly pale, of green and magenta.

Papplewick Trail sounds very pleasant.

I have communicated with Dan about iPlayer. He is not familiar with it but will no doubt investigate. I’ll let you know if anything of value (and understandable) comes out of his research.

The gin trick has done wonders for the gripe water. One bonus is that the bottle never becomes empty!

I have a certain admiration for Vanessa Redgrave as an actress but have never thought of her as beautiful.
It must be a matter of dotting the eyes of the beholder.

I had a lovely supper ‘trouvaille' last night.
Sandra had opened a tin of yellow-fin tuna, so I mixed some of that with tartare sauce, mayonnaise, double cream, and chopped olives. Finding the remains of a Little Gem lettuce in the fridge, I chopped it up and fried some cubes of cold boiled Maris Peers until brown and crispy. I then stuffed the lot into two blown-up-under-the-grill pitta breads. Delicious!!

Apologies for confusing Anonymous with Anonymous 1. I cannot think how that might have happened!
I'll be forgetting my own name next.