Friday, August 10, 2007

Day at Harley Gallery - Middleton Stones - Mystery Solved !

Before I get to the Harley Gallery I must tell you that the Mystery of The Middleton Stones is solved.

Anonymous (Rob) sent me a link to Sites of Meaning and there was the explanation. When the webpage opens go down to 04 on the right and all will be revealed. Thanks very much indeed Rob and isn't it a lovely story ? It will be very nice to see you at EPS hopefully in October. I haven't managed any of the Thursday night get-togethers mainly because 9pm for me is hometime not going out time. We codgers can't actually manage a full-shift anymore .

We set off for the Harley Gallery about 10.50pm aiming to visit Tesco before collecting Bungus because Y wanted some chuldren's clothes items which Tesco carry. Upon arrival at the Gallery we decided to eat lunch before going round and were delighted with the Lime House. A simple menu of locally sourced food in a light airy setting. All of this, Gallery, Restaurant, Farm Shop and Dukeries Garden Centre are in the grounds of Welbeck Abbey and, although I searched, a brief and comprehensive link was difficult.

In the gallery at the moment is an outstanding exhibition Geometry of Fear including Henry Moore, Lyn Chadwick, Elizabeth Frink et al. Please click that live-link if you are interested, but it is well worth actually going to see - and in such beautiful surrounding. Some of the pieces were like Millicent's 'Gruffalo' i.e. quite 'scary' and although the power of some hit you, you wouldn't want to live with them in the kitchen. I published a link to the gallery yesterday but here it is again just to be on the safe side. It's a real fancy website which well repays a few clicks.

We met a charming and erudite lady who was touring the gallery in a wheel chair and heard Bungus and I talking about a scuplture once being welded in a box (believed by Reg Butler) and the 'cat in the box'. Apparently she has a doctorate and philosophy is her subject so she gently enlightened us on Heisenberg's Uncertainty principle and bits of Wittgenstein's Tractatus.

You learn a lot on a Radiogandy outing. Tickets always available in Reception !

When we arrived home there was a nice message from Jean about Sunday's National Trust trip to Dunham Massey - and I've not yet had time to research the 'eco-housing'. Not that it is required for the trip but I wanted to know about it. We are going to take details of the Harley Gallery for Jean, not for a possible Nat Trust trip but because she may like to go. I just managed to do two prints of today's pictures for Y's scrapbook and my printer went on the blink again. I can't get the 'ink levels' to show and it refuses to print anything further. It's back to Brian Smith Commercial for a further check-up I think.

My iGoogle quotes page gave me this little gem:-

"Nothing can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own"
- Sidney J. Harris

I've known it happen to old men as well !


Coffee, paper, magazine, radio - shut-eye. Don't believe the time at the bottom - it's now 9.30pm. Sleep tight.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been happily checking out the stones story, and the gallery. You do have interesting outings.....

My printer is playing up too - new colour cartridge is sending out everything very pink. I think I have had the cartridge a couple of years (OK, I lost it) do they deteriorate with age?

I seem to be programmed to fall asleep at 10.45 - Paxo is the only one who keeps me awake....

Anonymous said...

What with your printers and my multi-coloured dream-monitor we are a truly electronically disabled trio.

I am grateful for the explanation of The Middleton Mystery Stones.
I had concluded that they would most likely be a piece of modern sculpture, which I suppose is not too wide of the mark.

The Harley Gallery was certainly well worth a visit and the lunch very good.
We were very fortunate to engage with the Doctor of Philosophy and I think she probably enjoyed the discussion as much as we did. I am sure she understood it better than me! I don't mean that she had difficulty understanding ME but that I had something of a struggle with the concepts.
We (RadioG and I) were agreed that although she undoubtedly belonged in the same age-band as ourselves she must have been 143 at the very least. Believe me, THAT is an easy concept compared with some that we debated (as always, it is a matter of knowing and understanding the rules; and being somewaht addicted to surrealism does no harm).

I had quite forgotten about Reg Butler (I can never quite escape the belief that he had something to do with cycle racing. I think it must be a mental amalgam of the late great world sprint champion Reg Harris a and bike maker Claude Butler). But, upon googling him, I was reminded that he is probably best known for winning ‘The Unknown Political Prisoner’ competition in 1953.
And I still don’t know whether it was him, Lynn Chadwick, Erskine Calder or someone else who, I think in the late 1950s, placed a completed steel sculpture in a steel box and welded on the steel lid.