Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Nails Day - Awful Weather - Very Busy

Y's 'Nails Day' at Carlton Hilltop is usually brilliantly sunny but not today. It was raining first thing and has continued until a few minutes ago and the sun has tried to break through. The clouds are racing across the sky, south to north, and it looks unpromising.

As it is a Karen day we left as soon as she arrived and did The Co-op, Lidl, Morrisons etc., and then we went to Jacksdale Garden Centre for Niger seed for our Goldfinches. They have been slumming it for a couple of weeks on thistle seed which, until I read the link, I mistakenly thought was the same. As the link explains though, they prefer real niger seed. Ours certainly do.

After Jacksdale we headed off to Carlton and while Y had her nails serviced I did my charity shop sortie. No books but I did buy this mug (50p piece for scale, I hope Bungus will note) and although I am no lover of hunting-scenes I realised as soon as I picked it up that it was bone-china, the marking of which was completely hidden behind the charity-shop label saying Cancer Research UK 60p. Obviously I paid for it before peeling the label off and confirming my suspicions. Gorgeous mug and this evening I enjoyed my Co-op 99 tea from it. I'll just have to put up with the hunting scene !

We then had lunch at our Italian Restaurant but feel that next time we shall give it a miss. They were playing loud music, were just a little off-hand and we didn't enjoy it as much as previously. Somewhere new can be explored in 3 weeks time. After lunch we nipped round to Joan's for tea and a biscuit and she was her usual welcoming self. But is still suffering with this cough and chest problem. She has been prescribed an inhaler and steroids but is loathe to do the steroid bit. I have drawn her attention to the Pulmo Bailly previously discussed in these columns and she is going to seek some out.

when we arrived home this strange hairy moth was on the outside of the window and I took its picture from inside, with the flash on. It wasn't possible to nip outside to ask it to hold a 50p piece in its teeth so for some idea, I would guess it was an inch high and a half-inch across the wings. So I apologise for this being larger than life-size.

I guess it isn't actually hydra-headed and the two things sticking out at the top must be some sort of antennae.

Lepidopterists please take two smart paces forward !

As our Italian meals had been less good than usual we decided to indulge ourselves with double egg and chips. We had some fresh free-range eggs from our Harley Gallery Farm Shop visit. Got the chips, and the eggs, just right and they were pronounced by senior management to be delicious. Followed by Lidl Tiramasu which can be recommended. The bottom is awash with Marsala and the result is exquisite.

Comments (Jill and Bungus) - I'm afraid the 1st Ashbourne Troop were quite boring and British Bulldog was called British Bulldog. It was played nearly every week in the Scout Hut and got me into future service as a second row forward at rugby. I was eventually promoted to centre three-quarter, a much more dignified role. Very impressed with Jill's brush with the great & good of the Art World.

Aren't the nights drawing in, as they say ? But still manging to be blogging before dark. Irrespective of what it says at the bottom, it is now 20.55pm. The blog records the time when I first open the blogsite and often I multi-task ! As different ideas occur to me I pursue them, using some rejecting others, making coffee etc., etc.

WOW tomorrow is going to be me and Reg and even not that if the weather is particularly foul. I shall prolly turn up at his place at around 9.50am though, unless he rings, because I do so enjoy our Wednesdays. And I don't want to go chip-cobless !

The book quiz programme is on at 9.30pm so I'll make a hot drink and go and watch it with Y.

Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How pleased I am that you have been converted to bone china for tea. Welcome to the civilised world.

Your mention of 'Pulmo Bailly' reminds me of a bit of the late Ronnie Scott’s patter:
“He’s rather an unusual guy – he’s half black and half Japanese and every 7th December he attacks Pearl Bailey.”

Your view of the moth seems to me to be rather personal and intrusive; a bit top shelf.
All lepidopterae have antennae (I understand the rule is that if they have knobs on they are butterflies).
An added delight: If the moth is highlighted it turns a delicate shade of green (on my monitor!)

I must try the Lidl Tiramisu.
I have never found one that remotely compares with that of the King’s Head at Gt Bircham, W Norfolk. In the early 90s (?) it was a rather scruffy sort of hotel, with eccentrically furnished bedrooms, run by the splendidly wayward Scots/Italian Issadoro (I forget his surname but it wasn’t Duncan) and his elegant, long-suffering, hair-tearing, English wife Mirabelle.
They did great value, 2/3 night, half-board breaks (£22 pppn if I remember correctly) and chef Kevin came down from Yorkshire every Thursday till Sunday to prepare exquisite Italian food. Izzy liked a drink and was unhappy not to serve his guests until the early hours every night.
But when RadioG and I called in last year for coffee it had gone all revamped and posh (£70 pppn b&b) and, for me, had lost all its character charm.
Sorry to hear that the Carlton Italian was not up to standard. Does it do a homemade tiramisu, I wonder?
Sandra and I went to the Snooty Fox this evening, where RadioG and I had such a disappointing meal a few weeks ago.
They have had some difficulties. The chap who runs it had a heart attack (just before that visit) and the chef (only in his 40s) died suddenly last week. Apparently he was on holiday so no one missed him for several days.
But, I am pleased to report, Sandra had a superb plateful of prawn & smoked salmon salad and I had a massive portion of excellent baked ham with chips & peas; £12.25 in total.