Saturday, August 25, 2007

Colliers' Wood - New Auditorium - Collierys' Choir

First thing this morning I went over to Kimberley Library to help take down our Exhibition but, by the time I arrived at 10am the job had been completed. Fortunately I spotted them leaving and Lesley invited the four of us for coffee, which was nice. When I got home Y put the shopping away while I cooked a spagbol.

Almost immediately after lunch we went over to Colliers' Wood for the open-air Eastwood Collieries' Choir Concert. The occasion was to mark the official opening of the new auditorium, which Picture 1 shows the choir assembled on. I have made the name a live link but it is a little disappointing. No pictures and it doesn't tell you that when it was created in 1996 the miners did all the hard work themselves. It is now becoming a very attractive little conservation area and the new auditorium blends in well.

I hope my pictures capture what a gorgeous late summer day it was. Sunny, a little breezy, and the temperature in the mid 70s F. For Picture 2 I went behind the Choir for a 'crowd shot' and the umbrellas are for protection from the sun not the rain.

Y and I secured a good place and a little later Reg and Maureen arrived and came to sit with us. After a few minutes a heavily disguised character in SAS hat, shades, and clutching an expensive camera came over towards us. It was none other, Dear Readers, than AnonymousRob and (taken by Reg) Picture 3 is he ! And before rejoining his group he advised us to attach wide-angle lenses and get in close ! The one he's got on must be a 70-300mm long at least. It was also very nice to see Dennis M who also came over. Still his usual bubbly self and he looks so well.

Joan was with him, but the other side of a brook-ette so we just waved. Dennis of course vaulted it without a second thought.

The Male Voice Choir were first-rate. I am no music buff but they sang completely without microphones and speakers and the sound in the open-air was incredibly pure. Their repertoire was just right. From Rod Stewart's 'Sailing', through some Westlife and Spirituals to Mining Songs. We enjoyed it so much one of the chaps s going to pop one of their CDs through the letter-box. So gratifying for them that there was such a good crowd and that the sun shone on them. We shall certainly go to future similar events.

Thanks Jill for putting your mind to the unidentified bird. They were zooming about so quickly I was lucky to get the snap I did ! And Bungus, please don't stop commenting on the pictures. You know me well enough that I am unlikely to be offended whatever you say about them. I prefer the blog to be eclectic in the matter of people's opinions.

I've chanced on the link to the QE2 Bridge webcam again, so I've linked it again. Although you see a lot of sea it is fun and interesting when it is docking or setting sail etc.

Quote for the Day :-

"Unprovided with original learning, unformed in the habits of thinking, unskilled in the arts of composition, I resolved to write a book"
Edward Gibbon
It is 20.20pm, coffee, read and radio time. Then a bit of choccy and shut-eye. Sleep tight and I'll catch you tomorrow.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It is not concern that I might offend which prevents me commenting on your photos but a worry that, because of the colour distortion caused by my monitor, I might comment unfairly.
But I’ll take a chance and say that I believe the composition of the first wind surfer picture is better than the second. I'd say the latter suffers in comparison because the spit of land does not reappear to the left of the craft, which itself is less well positioned in the picture.
I must suppose that you preferred the first picture yourself, otherwise you would not have chosen it.
My remark about contrast may have been right out of order because it could be seeing the wrong colours that gave rise to the criticism.