Thursday, August 02, 2007

Mansfield - House re-viewing - Panoramas

We decided to nip over to Mansfield again this morning because we both needed Library books and I wanted to see what they were selling in the Jessop's 'Everything must go' Closing Down sale. One would have expected really low prices under the cirumstances but, as far as I could see the discounts were cosmetic only. I suspect that the legend should be read as 'Everything must go -to one of our other branches if you won't buy it at our price'. But maybe the cynic is in charge again today. However, I stood in the doorway and took a picture of the Market Place.

When we were in the Library and discussing the 3 month refurbishment of Eastwood Library, the Librarian said that Mansfield also was due to be refurbished, and closed while it's done. And honestly, it just doesn't need it. It is a great Library with wide aisles, airy, with loads of seats and computer terminals and it is well used. When we sugested that they spend the money instead on books, the lady said "Different budget - the last thing they will do is listen to us. We only work here". Then I got a new ferule on my walking stick from a shop that I recalled do ferules. 99p and I lent the nice young chap my knife to get the old one off. I gave him the £1 when he had refitted a new one, and he promptly gave me a complimentary ferule, saying that the new one might fall off. Like Arnold, Mansfield people are lovely.

Picture 2 is by way of an experiment. It is a vertical panorama, if that isn't a contradiction in terms.

I have wondered for some time if it's possible, because I can foresee uses of the technique. Tall buildings, or cliffs and things. As you can see this is just a common-or-garden conifer in our front garden. It was a bit of a 'faff' because you have to lock the exposure after the first frame. Otherwise, as you move up the tree, the camera tries to adjust the exposure due to the scene being brighter at the top. Then when you have the different frames in the Panorama programme you have to turn them through 90 degrees so they butt up, so to speak.

I quite like the result and it does actually show the tree as it is.

First thing this morning it was wet but has steadily improved all day and it is now a gentle summer's evening. But the people in the press yesterday who were saying that Autumn was early, are quite right. One of our Rowans has ripe berries and the blackbirds have started to gorge themselves thereon. I can't swear to it but surely this usually happens at the end of September?

I have received my BBc iPlayer e-mail so, when I have worked the instructions out and installed it, means I can download BBC TV programmes in much the same way as we have been able to use their 'Listen again' facility for radio. My guess is that I shall keep the facility in my computer and I may occasionally decide to watch something in the middle of the night. But I can't see me becoming a TV fan because of it. When I've mastered it I will report on the ease of use, and quality etc.

The potential house-purchaser who seems quite interested is returning tomorrow evening for a further look. Promising! But not getting excited.

Back to my Auden's 'Aphorisms' for a quote tonight:

"She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot."
Mark Twain

Here's hoping that Jill isn't suffering too much and that everybody else is as well as can be expected. At least our holidaying people have had a few really nice days.

The giraffe can nibble the top of the panorama. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not really suffering at all, thank you, hven't taken any painkillers for two days....

I am most interested in this bbc player whatsit -another technical term - I have googled to try to find it, but not successful. Could you tell me where I get it from, please, and how easy it is to install/use?

Anonymous said...

I expect you are right about Jessops’ (photography) ‘bargains’. Not at all cynical.

I totally agree that Mansfield Library needs at most a lick of paint. Why they have to mend things that aren’t broke, I shall never understand.

For considerate but undeferential treatment by trades people, it must be hard to beat Shirebrook – AND they have an Aldi, an ‘end-of-line’ frozen food shop selling such as M&S products at half price, a cobbler and key cutter, and a good tea & coffee van on the vast market square (about the same size as Moscow’s Red Square!).

Rowan berries do seem to go on for a ong time but I certainly think that I usually pick them at the same time as blackberries, elderberries and crab apples to make hedgerow jelly, although I have to wait for the sloes which are 'actually' as well as ‘reportedly’ later than the others.

Good luck with the house sale (again!). But before you leave I would appreciate a few ‘splittings’ of 'Rose of Sharon' to plant along the old hedgeline (October is the best time I think).

I very much like the Mark Twain quote. Without being able to explain it, one somehow understands exactly what it means.

Anonymous said...

PS
Like Jill, I too wish to know more about how to get TV on monitor (to catch up with programmmes missed). Please keep us informed.