Thursday, May 31, 2007

Mansfield - Lunch - Thunder - Sun

"..AND, WHEN I RETURNED ALL THAT REMAINED WAS AN EMPTY GLASS AND HIS COLLAR."

This was Bungus's title for Picture 1 which he took while I staggered to the bar in The Widow Frost. When I received it a few minutes ago I laughed so much I nearly 'wet 'mi knickers'. Seldom does a photograph provoke spontaneous laughter in it's subject but this one did.

My 'neck-brace' is uncomfortable and I don't consider it wise to wear it all the time lest I come to rely on it. Hence my decision, while in the comfortable embrace of a great Mansfield Pub, to take it off for a few minutes while I went to order the food. And Bungus saw the potential.

All the things I needed to shop for were crossed off my list. One important thing was a quantity of the larger rubber bands that postmen used to discard but don't seem to any longer. They were ideal for holding together books that are in the process of disintegration - of which I have several. The little thin, coloured, rubber-bands available in supermarkets are simply not up to the job. Another item was a qood length of strong garden wire to support shrub roses which are suffering with all this wet weather and wind. Wilko of course, 99p for 50ft. Every town should be required by law to have a Wilko. W.H.Smith provided one other thing - an A4 Art-Pad. As I've already said, I can't draw but I use them as computer mouse-mats which have the additional quality of allowing me to write notes and stand my coffee. When suitably full and disgusting I tear it off and start a fresh sheet. Idea 6,325 - I think? 6,324 'the keeping of potatoes in the fridge to stop them sprouting' was disallowed because other people already do it.

Jill's trip to Hidcote sounded good. It is generally considered in 'jewel in the crown' terms amongst Nat Trust Gardens. I had in my head, quite erroneously, that it was something to do with Christopher Lloyd. But when I googled there was no mention of him. But E.A.Bowles of Erysium 'Bowles Mauve' was mentioned and others who had a hand in it, including Gertrude Jekyll.

I had a picture of the beautiful evening light, when I started my blog but Picasa and/or blogger is playing up. An error message, with a code, appears and tells me I can't upload the picture and to try again after a few minutes. I have and it won't. Lets hope it's cured itself by tomorrow. (it's cured itself already - ed)


Still laughing at Bungus's picture. Sleep tight. Catch you tomorrow when I am hoping that my 'carbon footprint' will be zero.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The use of a drawing pad as a mouse mat seems very sensible to me. In the bad old days when we had drawing boards (not computer screens) we always ensured a level surface by using a cartridge paper ‘backing sheet’ (often with advertising of building products printed thereon). This too was used for notes and trying out pens and sharpening pencils until it demanded replacement having become messy and inconvenient.

I feel an attack of pedantry coming on.
If the ‘potato’ idea had to be scrapped on the grounds of plagiarism, surely the ‘mouse mat’ takes its place as 6,324 rather than becoming 6,325.
I shall not insist that the ‘mouse mat’ is a steal from the ‘backing sheet’ because that served a different basic purpose.
Some people will, not regard that as a matter of importance.

I suppose that, like Jill, I have now had an icon dedicated to ME. What a dilemma as, generally speaking I don’t like them; possibly because I don’t usually understand them (I thought Jill’s was of someone trying to throw a yo-yo away, until I had it explained).

I was surprised to see in ArtsDaily that Wetherspoons have an art gallery in North Carolina. I should think the price of the beer brings in no end of visitors.
ي

Anonymous said...

00 some sort of gallon, that will calculates out to be about 10 cents a gallon that you are "saving" [url=http://www.pahiy.co.uk/]temporary car insurance[/url] short term car insurance Generally, the lenders agree the cash from a post-dated check that involves the loan sum plus interest charges on it http://www.quickshorttermcarinsurance.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

While some alternative countries think about it illegal just to wear armed service clothing, on the net selling finds its approach to give secure purchasing of army clothing at the very affordable cost [url=http://www.vejhi.co.uk/]uk quick loans[/url] PIH Quick Loans Because we wasn't planning on any longer additions to your family, we had a private insurance that didn't include maternity coverage http://www.vejhi.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

Pertaining to example- a student, acquiring working on consumer service by using a low earnings and paying out federal student loan for 10 years, could get her / his remaining financial products totally understood [url=http://www.lfxgj.co.uk/]short term loans[/url] quick loans uk With regard to applying the entire process, you only need to apply by means of online application process which takes just few minutes to be able to fill up on line application form http://www.lfxgj.co.uk/