Saturday, May 12, 2007

Long Eaton - Mostly Rest Day - 55F - SW Wind

Mostly a nice quiet Rest Day and I'm still improving slowly. My walking, if you could call it that, is a sort of amalgam of Mrs Overall and a Western Gunslinger. Back sufferers, and the observers of back-sufferers will know the look well.

We wanted to nip over to Long Eaton to take my 'bowls and bowls gear' which David has kindly agreed to sell for me on e-bay. I've bought things there but haven't yet ventured into the selling bit.

Y took one look at my 'stance' and said "You can't possibly go like that" but I really wanted to, and basically all I needed to do was get into the car. Driving isn't a problem provided one discounts the mach2 pain of head turning at junctions - but I would have a co-pilot for that. So we went. And had a lovely time. Our family brings us so much pleasure and we realise how lucky we are. Picture 1 is Sky's Chess Award Certificate together with rosette and medal. I know I have already blogged how well she did, so I won't repeat myself. In the final round she needed to win 4 games and she only won 3. Had she succeeded, the next leg would have been at Manchester University. Nevertheless we are all proud of her.!

Brooke immediately went for the Flower Fairy book and was taken with the 'dog-rose fairy' because 'she is so pretty'. They produced the 1,000 best children's poems book and we were read a favorite. Apparently the whole family love the book. My browsing of charity shops will resume with renewed zeal. Brooke was also delighted to have a loose toothe and wiggled it for us vigorously with her tongue and finger. We made the appropriate 'disgusted noises' and discovered that the tooth-fairy has 'upped' her onetime sixpence to a £1, plus present for the first tooth. And you get a pretty little envelope to put the tooth in, to take to the Tooth Library. My word. How things progress !!

Picture 2 is a photo of the Bridge at Gateshead, which is currently illuminated as part of an outdoor exhibition. Marvellous Architecture, great idea and a smashing photograph. I wasn't quick enough to catch the identity of the photographer but whoever you are "Congratulations".

I love my new iGoogle Homepage and obviously Madeline is also an enthusiast. The Bukowski democracy/ dictatorship quote appeared in my 'Quotes of the Day' too. We shall have to publish Screen Prints so the others understand what we are rabbiting on about. And the mouse scroll-wheel tip, to go down the blog without obliterating the comments box does work. Provided of course, that you first move the cursor over to the blog itself and away from the 'comments' box.

And I disagree strongly about Gertrude Jekyll looking like two overblown brussell tops. They don't look at all like that. And to make the point, about the colour being fine as it is, I have done this version. Nothing too much trouble to please my friends ! Personally I think it's foul, and it won't last long.



Re errors in 'comments' - I don't think it should be worried about. Spelling mistakes never cause me concern because typos can be such fun and they stimulate creative thought. But, if anyone ever seriously wanted a comment to be amended or deleted I would be happy to oblige.

Some 'bloggers' moderate and check 'comments' before they allow them into the blog. There are mechanisms in the Template which allow for this. But nobody has yet said anything which would justify my doing that, and I positively approve of people saying what they feel. It adds to the value of the blog, in my opinion, that the 'slice of history' aspect, and it not being solely an ego-trip like a 'Hi Letter'. That sentence is awful ! but it's 9.15pm and I'm approaching 'knackeredity'.

Catch you tomorrow. I wonder what has happened to Anon1 ? I hope we haven't offended her.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Anon 1 - reporting in! No you haven't offended me, I'm still here and reading your blog every day, I just haven't had time to make any comments! This will have to be quick as I'm in the middle of watching the Eurovision Song Contest, terrible I know, but a lot of fun, results time now -
see you soon....

Anonymous said...

If this sounds like a gripe, so be it. I simply must take issue.

1) Using the mouse scroll-wheel tip, to go down the blog without obliterating the comments box absolutely does NOT work on this computer. When I ‘first move the cursor over to the blog itself and away from the comments box’ the comments box disappears as soon as I start scrolling down (using the wheel).

2) Spelling mistakes may never cause you concern but they do irritate me, although, admittedly, they occasionally cause amusement. I shall continue to type things up before publication in order to proofread and, unavoidable mistakes excepted, only allow the amusing errors to stand.

3)I appreciate you approving of
people saying what they think. I should hope you do, as it allows you to completely misinterpret comments like mine about the Jekyll and Hyde effect (which I have carefully explained twice without it apparently being understood).

I never came close to suggesting that the Brussels metamorphosis is attractive. And how did you manage to almost effect it? By manipulation, I suspect, as I feel it is not quite the same shade of green that I obtained (fortuitously) by double highlighting. And when your strident green version is highlighted it does not revert to quite the delicate colour of the original which, I think, tends to support my argument.
I tried to print ‘my’ more subtle green result (intending to scan and email it) but the act of printing caused it to revert to the original ‘pink’.

I cannot really hope for comprehension of the above as I am not even sure that I follow it.
Bogger me! I wish I’d never said anything in the first place. One tries to introduce a bit of philosophical meditation along the lines of angels dancing on a pin and what does one get? Lack of understanding, that’s what one gets.

“Anyone who isn’t confused doesn’t really understand...” Ed Murrow.
ي

Unknown said...

Have you managed to get into Hannah's website yet? I hope so. Well done to Sky; I've never managed to get the hang of chess so I think it's an excellent achievement.
Unlike Bungus, I rather liked the "...behind the Radiogandy bikesheds" remark. It almost made me feel young again!
I don't think that your beautiful roses look anything like Brussels Sprouts, even when you made the roses go green!
Yes, I love the iGoogle homepage; I've got the beach theme which is different according to the time of day.
Sorry the scroll wheel tip didn't work for you Bungus. Try it again and be sure not to press the scroll wheel; if you do, the comments box will minimise to the Taskbar and you'll have to click on it to restore it. Just roll the wheel gently away from you or towards you, depending on whether you want to go up or down the page.
As I said, I found out about this on Outlook Express quite by accident. I had OE maximised with a New Message box open and I was trying to think of what to say. I had my hand on the mouse and was absent-mindedly fiddling about with the scroll wheel, et voilà!
Don't worry, RG. I'll only ask you to edit/delete my comments if I inadvertently post something rude and/or offensive!
I shall, of course, be happy to engage in intellectual debates about all kinds of esoteric things should the occasion arise!

Anonymous said...

Well! There you go. Here's me being the gentleman, mindful of Madeline's 'sine macula' reputation, and I am, in effect, accused of being an old fuddy duddy!

I shall persistently try the scroll wheel trick but so far it hasn't worked.

And the green roses still look very like big blown Brussels to me. Not that it's important.