Friday, May 11, 2007

The Blogger Returns - Lappy Fine - Neck 'orrible

Hello folks. Nice to be back. My laptop is now in fine fettle and straining at the leash. Picture 1 is Gertrude Jekyll who is in full production and surrounding the front door in a most cottage-ish style. The aroma is classic old fashioned shrub rose. Pity I can't yet send you a 'link' to the smell. Bet they'll be able to one day though, given the pace of technological advance.

And I have absolutely no objection to the blog's 'comments' system being used as a mail-box. Seems most imaginative to me as neither Madeline nor Bungus have the other's e-mail address. Unless cleared in advance I think it is not polite to volunteer someone's details. Their meeting at the back of the RadioGandy bike-sheds was A OK by me.

In fact their 'popping in' to the station in my absence was, I thought, most useful and provided some reading-matter to the other blog-readers. I'm just relieved they didn't need to transmit 'solemn music' . Perhaps they wouldn't mind doing me the same favour when Y and I go on holiday; we are planning a few days in Oxfordshire the week after next to visit a few Nat Trust places that have been recommended.

My back/leg/neck ache are recovering, with my neck-ache taking the longest. Y has been doing the matron bit and rubbing in Transvasin and heating up a bean-filled neck-bag in the microwave etc., The pain has been severe. The neck-ache gave me a head-ache which in turn made my teeth ache. Strange because I no longer have any of my own teeth !! Anyway I'm much better. And I can turn over in bed without torturing myself. It was lovely to meet up with Bungus on Thursday and to take him his EcoBook. I'm game for having a go at camping or as close to the b & b equivalent that we can find.

I took Y to Eastwood to the hairdressers this morning and while waiting had a good mooch in the Hospice Bookshop.

This book of 'flower fairies' was irresistable at 25p. The problem lies in deciding which granddaughter to place it with. Mind you I also bought a beautifully illustrated English Wildflowers which would do for one of the others. Plus a Selected John Donne, which is for me. I photographed the Flower Fairies open at the Herb Robert page. Somebody once tried to convince me that Rosebay Willow Herb and Herb Robert were the same thing. They are nothing like each other.

My e-mail inbox now looks respectable again and my TBD list is shortening. But there are many other tasks. Some for the National Trust, some for photography, and some just need doing.

Hannah now has a website and I can't open it. Maybe we haven't copied the address 100% accurately. Eventually we shall get there.

Can't think of any reason why Madeline's 'comments' box now opens as such rather than a full new window. It is supposed to open as a small box in the top left hand corner, leaving the rest of the blog visible - as hers now does. As she will know, if it dots in the bottom left corner of the box it can be dragged larger. If everyone is happy with what they currently have, I would rather not tinker with my template. That way madness lies.

Just having a 'quotes' check for when I was out-of-action and this caught my eye:-

The computing world is always in need of new clichés'
Alan Perlis

Off for my usual. Catch you tomorrow. Sleep tight.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello and welcome back, you've been missed! What a wonderful picture of your Gertrude Jekyll.
I've got no idea why the "comments" box now behaves as it should, i.e. as a pop-up in the top left hand corner of the screen. Until a few days ago, it always loaded a new page, but in the same tab, so you couldn't refer back to the Blog page easily.
You and your readers may know this already, but it's a handy little tip. If you've got a scroll wheel on your mouse, you can use it to move up and down the Blog without the "comments" box minimising to the Taskbar. Useful if it's a long Blog! I found this out when composing a new message on Outlook Express some time ago, much better than having to minimise the New Message box to see someone's email.
I saw the following quotation on Google (or should that be iGoogle) yesterday:
"The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting."
- Charles Bukowski

For Bungus. There you are, I knew our email substitute system would be fine. From what you say, it seems the we lesser mortals have to put up with our errors potentially visible to the entire on-line world. If I make any really dreadful mistakes, I shall send an email to the All-Powerful One requesting that he edits away my shame!

Anonymous said...

If the Pic 1 is
‘highlighted/copied/ posted/highlighted’
the roses look like over-bright Brussels sprouts. You wouldn’t want the smell of those, would you?
Can you remember when it was usual to add bicarb to the water to keep cabbagey things green?

“…back of the RadioGandy bike-sheds” indeed! What an impertinent description of an intellectual debate!
But, provided you are not intending to take a sabbatical, I shall be happy, in your absence, to talk to anyone who wishes to discuss esoteric details (of all sorts of things).

As for a ‘camping’ holiday:
provided it is nothing to do with the Kenneth Williams Carry On Memorial Foundation and doesn’t involve fishing, I might well be up for it. I don’t mind shooting squirrels for the pot with bow and arrow.

For any readers who may be sceptical, I confirm that you are obviously in considerable pain and discomfort. (“RadioGandy? Talk about a pain in the neck!”) You should ask for your money back. Watching you insinuate yourself into the driving seat of your car was like a scene from a Jacques Tati film. But not funny (which is some people’s view of Jacques Tati anyway).
But try to look on the bright side; at least your whitlow is better.

The Herb Robert poem gives the game away. Geranium is confirmed by my Wild Flower book.


THE JOYS OF TINGO

'Rhaphanidosis' an ancient Greek punishment for adultery which seldom caused death (it would have come very slowly anyway). The worst thing about it was no doubt the constant repeats.

And the Swedes have more accurate ways of describing grandparents than we do:
'farfar’ is a father’s father; ‘morfar’ a mother’s father; ‘farmor’ a mother’s father; ‘mormor’ a mother’s mother.
My mother would have loved that; she was always insistent that one should appreciate the difference between a second cousin and a first cousin once removed (which may account for what some regard as my pedantry).
But in the Kamilaroi language of Australia ‘nganuwaay’ means ‘a mother’s cross-cousin’s daughter’. But it also means ‘a mother’s father’s sister’s daughter’ (1st cousin once removed). And ‘a mother’s mother’s brother’s daughter’s daughter’ (2nd cousin). Likewise ‘a mother’s mother’s brother’s son’s daughter’ (also 2nd cousin). ي

PS I tried using the scroll wheel but the comments box minimised itself!