Saturday, May 05, 2007

Still recovering - 60F - Southerly 7mph Wind

A couple of days ago John sent me a picture of Avignon where they are staying for a couple of days. I texted him 'thankyou' and asked if he had been "sur la pont".

I received this one in reply and apparently there are only 4 arches now from the original 22. And there was an admission charge which would be a definite 'no no' for John. It certainly looks picturesque though and I recognise the town battlements in the background, from the original picture he sent. These mobile-phone pictures really appeal to me. So much better than stylised postcards. They have a personal touch, rather like receiving a unique 'art-work', especially as they are so good.

My back is still recovering, albeit slowly, but I have been down this particular rocky lane so many times I know it will eventually be OK. Turning over in bed is a serious task. I have to grab my pyjamas at thigh level, grit my teeth and then go for it.

Picture 2 wasn't very demanding and only involved pulling a dandelion clock from the rear of the trellis and leaning against the kitchen wall while I held it against the sky with my left hand while clicking the camera shutter with my right.

Millicent now understands about dandelion clocks and blows lustily. Usually managing to make it in 4 puffs. She has also learnt the family tradition of 'clinking glasses' even though in her case it is a plastic mug with a spout. But she is eager to go round the assembled company clinking. Several times in fact.

Watched the Culture Show but wasn't very keen. We never seem to have the Art chap or the Architecture man these days - it was mainly about pop-music and films.

It will be good to speak to David in the morning and hear all their news. House moves, holidays, and everything else.

The bodywork garage have estimated the cost of dealing with my little dent at £1,123 and they are waiting for Churchill's authority to proceed. It wouldn't surprise me if they decide to write it off. If they do, I think I shall just ignore the dent; make no claim, and carry on running the car as normal. There isn't anthing else wrong with it and it would seem such a shame to abandon it and find £5,000 or so for another car which we might not like as much. Y agrees with this line of reasoning.

Nearly finished the crossword but we are stuck for two.

16 down - (Fourth strange knock at rub-a-dub-dub. 8 letters) - *R*M*E** and

27 across - (Place each name inside ground kernel. 6 letters) - *E*N**

The across clue's last letter is also the last letter of the down clue.

Glass of milk, bit of chocolate and read in bed. I feel the need to be self-indulgent

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those two clues defeated me too, plus about three others. I think 'rub-a-dub-dub' is rhyming slang for 'pub' - or it might just have been an Arthur Daley invention - doesn't help anyway! I can't make sense of the last one at all......

Liked the info about 'megrim' - I wonder if this flat fish gets face-ache when the eyes moves round to be on the same side - hence 'migraine'....I googled for it - its proper name is lepidorhombus whiffiagonis - never heard of a Chef's candle......

Anonymous said...

Just had a thought - could the answer to the second clue be 'peanut'? I don't know WHY - I had this mental link to the ground-nut scheme in Kenya.....

Anonymous said...

I think that the answers to your crossword clues are 'peanut'(a peanut is a ground nut) and 'drumbeat'.

Anonymous said...

I had always thought that an insurance claim could not be 'unmade'. I await conclusion with interest.


Quite independantly I came to same conclusion as Madeline about the crossword.

D is 4th letter of alphabet.
'rum' is 'strange'.
'knock' is 'beat'.
I suppose 'rub-a-dub-dub' represents the sound?

'Place' is 'put'
I suppose 'ea' + 'n' is abbreviation of 'each' + 'name'. represent 'each'?

Anonymous said...

Please ignore last line of previous comment (it should have been erased)