Friday, May 04, 2007

Megrims - 50F - 8mph North Wind

I'm beginning to think I like square pictures better than all those rectangles.

Picture 1, the vase of flowers on the window sill, was my attempt to capture a tiny bit of glass, just over half way down the vase, which was acting as a prism and defracting the light into its constituent parts. Blue seemed the most vivid so I moved head and camera till it seemed best.

Re yesterday's 'comments' now.

Jill's Tate extravaganza sounds great. Y says she would 'pass' on the duck egg (which she has never tried) and we agree that a hint of lavender doesn't quite 'go' does it? I was interested in the megrim fish. My Gran would accuse one of 'megrims' - meaning, I thought, that you were pulling a face. Interestingly my etymological dictionary says the word arrived in the 14th century and meant 'a pain in one side of the head'. And I always considered it to be the resultant screwed up visage. Also, my dictionary tells me, it was the precursor of 'migraine' which is such an ugly word - I much prefer 'megrim' which I intend use in future whenever appropriate.

Now to Bungus. Unless he has a method he can pass on, I don't think one can control whereabouts in the 'collage' a photo appears. Not in the Picasa2 version anyway and that is the only one I am familiar with. Re 'MegaTech' - it is the name of the computer people at Rainworth who I went to at his recommendation ! Ah well ! It is only too easy to forget these things. His info about money/food and our wealthiness, are chastening.

Picture 2 is a tiny shrub lilac which has survived another winter and is now looking comparatively strong. The flower heads are not as tight as a traditional tree but the perfume is exotic. We knew its name once but the label dropped off years ago.

My back is considerably better. Pain receeding but legs very uncertain. To coin an Animal Farm type syllogism "Two sticks better than one stick". The walk-a-day concept is temporarily on a back-burner.

I managed to make it to my camera-club last night and I'm glad I did because (a) it was nice to see everyone presented with their trophies and (b) the slide-show of members submissions to The Exhibition, was lovely and very well produced by Lesley and Ann, and professionally presented by Lesley. The standard was extremely high and, in my opinion, bettered the NEMPF exhibition. OK - theirs contained some technically excellent pictures but, as Lesley said at the time, it was 'formulaic'. Ours had life and reflected great credit on the Club.

We had house-viewers at 6.30pm and they were here ages. As they were walking towards the drive Y heard him say to her "I really liked the big rooms". Butwe are not getting too excited 'eh?

The paranoiacs amongst us will enjoy this quote :-

"Sometimes I get the feeling the whole world is against me, but deep down I know that's not true. Some smaller countries are neutral."
- Robert Orben

Off for a flat lie-down now. Catch you tomorrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The ping of ‘defracted’ light in the vase on photo1 brings to mind Tony Curtis’s teeth in the marvellous ‘Some Like It Hot’ – an effect which has been much used since.

Of course the Picasa collage arrangement cannot be controlled (other than in very broad terms) – something which I had completely forgotten when making an impossible suggestion. Mea culpa -and thank you for not making an impossible suggestion to me in return.
Now if you had said ‘Rainworth’ I would have known where you meant! But, so far as I know, I had never before heard the name ‘MegaTech’. As to my ‘recommendation’, I shall discuss that via email. I had the impression that you were claiming against MegaTech as they had supplied the laptop which they hadn’t, had they? ي