Sunday, May 20, 2007

Venus and Moon - RPS Creative Group

I am quite proud of Picture 1. In the early hours I noticed that the Crescent Moon and Venus were together, low in the western sky. Although the crescent bit doesn't look very sharp, a closer look at the enlargement (just click on the picture) will reveal details of craters and things. And although I am not well up on Astronomy, I'm not a bad googler. So I googled "bright star low in Western Sky" and dotted 'UK pages'. The first page up told me all I needed to know. I didn't even need to open the site because the information was in the summary.


If Picture 1 is too pixellated for comfortable viewing, Picture 2 of the Moon alone is less blocky. Unfortunately Venus isn't in this one. But I have my limitations. especially at 1.30am and suffering. A handful of DHC and tighten my neck-brace soon did the trick though, together with a little BBC 7 and World Service. It's a shame that my favourite OneWord goes off air at mignight. At least it does here, even though I think it's supposed not to.

Went off to Ravenshead for the RPS Creative Group do. It was supposed to be the last meeting because the regional organiser has had enough after 11 years and no-one had stepped forward. But, at the eleventh hour, somebody did. I'm pleased about that because I am so much more in tune with RPS photography than with camera club judges. Although I also love my local club and wouldn't want to be without them either. Today we had some excellent work shown and very good lectures, slides and prints. They brought a digital projector and it is easily the best way to display work and to make points.

I was fairly tired and achy when I got home but the light was good and I couldn't resist nipping round the garden and collecting some new flower pictures for an up-to-date collage of what is out today. Not much emphasis on Roses because the light was in the wrong place and apart from Gertrude Jekyll and a Mountbatten the main show will probably be another week.

Thank you Jill and Bungus for your comments and you are right about Cousin Kenneth. Although a widower he goes in for high camp and plays to the audience. And he certainly isn't a culture-vulture. And I do hope the wild-flower is Viper's Bugloss. Such a beautiful old-english type name and I shall cherish my photograph of it all the more.

I've managed to find some fresh, working, random world-webcams for my igoogle homepage; my existing lot had gone wonky. So I am again being whisked around the world in 60 second bursts.

It is 63F in Nottingham without any wind, and high humidity so in about 5 minutes I'm having an ice-cold alcohol free lager out of the fridge and finish off Saturday's papers and some magazines. And it is a good radio evening too. So I might have to multi-task!

Catch you tomorrow. Have a good night. And Venus and the Crescent Moon will still be close together if you can't drop off !!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Like the moon and Venus photo (why should Venus have cap when moon doesn’t?), esp as, when enlarged, the full moon is detectable.

Don’t overtighten the neck brace, esp if wearing basque and fishnets.

Vipers Bugloss pic should have reached you by now. It does seem about a month early but climatic conditions vary enormousy even within Notts.

Anonymous said...

Just doing a bit of catching up as I haven't visited for a while. Love the stone sculpture and your pic of the moon and Venus. We had a brilliant view of it the other night when we were making our way back from a pub party in the early hours. Thought at first that maybe it was alcohol that made them look so close together......Plant pictures....have you ever seen the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide Book. We swear by it and it's excellent value. Small pics and description of all British Wildlife that includes plants and everything. Well worth a skeet.