Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Briefly Blogging from Bed - Back Boggered

Briefest of blogs I'm afraid because I'm in bed with back/leg problems.

We went to the Theatre Royal to see Victoria Wood's "Acorn Antiques the Musical" and had the highest of hopes of it because we love both her sense of humour and her music. Those qualities came across but, in our opinion, the cast wasn't/weren't up to the job. The singing in places was flat, poorly modulated, and discordant. We opted out at half time and we weren't alone.

Unfortunately the seating is designed for midgets. I had minus 3 inches leg-room and the hour+. did for my back. No wonder I'm not a fan of live theatre. I didn't push it though and Y reached the same decision as me.

Apart from that we had a great day. Y had her 'nails' titivated and, as has become the norm, it was a gorgeous sunny morning. We lunched in Frantinis again and had pasta which was as scrumptious as you would expect from a good Italian restaurant. I was able to do the charity shops and acquired a Collected Wordsworth in excellent condition for 75p and also a Julian Fellows novel 'Snobs' for Y, for the same price. Slight snag - when I proudly presented it - she has already read it. But says she knows who to pass it on to.

Picture 1 is Renishaw's version I think of The Three Graces. But in a more animated pose than the classic original. I may have published a similar picture last year when we went to Renishaw, but it's worth a re-release. The view from the other side is just as captivating! "Oh Men!" do I hear from my lady readers?

Nothing from the Blood Clinic so I can only assume my warfarin dosage is unchanged for a week at least. I hope it soon settles down because the holiday season beckons and we have plans.

If I've missed anything that needed dealing with, I apologise. I'll try to catch up tomorrow after enough dihydrocodeine to float a battleship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

isn't it still amazingly cold (with an easterly wind) until the sun comes out?

Sorry to hear that Victoria Wood has laid you low. Are theatre seats worse than in the cinema then?.
I do like theatre but not, generally, musicals, although ‘Acorn Antiques’ did rather appeal as, moreso, does ‘Camelot’. Unfortunately they are Sandra’s favourite entertainment (neither of us has been to the cinema since ‘Jaws’) so we very seldom go together. Apart from a couple of ‘Music in Small Places’ jazz performances to pander to my taste, I think the last show we both saw was the first version of ‘The Rat Pack’ at The Playhouse about a decade ago (Frank and Deano is where our tastes meet). She is off down to London with Stephanie soon to see ‘Les and the Miserables’.

I can admire the 3 Graces even though they are way beyond my reach (2 of them anyway) and I also liked yesterday’s headstocks picture.