Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Nottingham Jaunt - nearly 70F - Sun - Now cloudy

This is a hang-over from Y's cave-tour yesterday and although she claims only to point-and-shoot she always manages to produce well composed interesting pictures.

A teenager in the party volunteered to be put in the stocks and he soon was able to say how uncomfortable the experience was. The guide debunked the common myth that passers-by threw fruit and vegetables at the offender. She claimed that any sort of food was far too valuable and the missiles would more likely be stones and clods of earth.

When the WOW group assembled this morning, as a change from rural settings an urban setting was chosen and we went to Nottingham. My blue-badge means I can park on Angel Row and I was lucky enough to find a space again. There was much lens-clicking around the water features in the Square . And Reg was giving his 50mm prime a first outing. He couldn't get over how small and light it made his camera, but kept trying to twist it for zoom. Mine has just the same effect on me.

I couldn't resist just one more tram shot and I tried the setting on my D80 whereby the camera focus point automatically follows a moving object across the screen. The result seems pretty sharp to me but I suspect that a Formula 1 would be more of a challenge.

The Square was busy again which is nice to see, but aesthetically a little spoilt by 2 big white BBC marquees. I suppose it was the barriers-around which were the real eyesore rather than the tents.

Thanks Bungus for the information about the caves and the dog-shit which I could probably have survived without. Seriously, I love all sorts of information so please keep it coming; the blog is much enhanced by it.

Finally to Trinity Square to see, and photograph, the construction activity but at that point I opted out and just about made it back to the car. Downhill fortunately! But I would infintely rather do things, enjoy myself, and suffer in consequence rather than just sit. We went to The Horse and Groom on Radford Road for the statutory chip-butty and then home. I stupidly left my little note-book on the pub table but when I rang, someone had kindly handed it in. I shall collect it tomorrow morning when I drop Y halfway for her grannying trip to Burton Joyce. Also, one of the chaps has left a grey T shirt in the boot.

Catch you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

PS Have just googled for Ajuga, and if you click on about the 3rd thing in the list marked Ajuga garden centre up comes an e-bay page with pictures of all different kinds of ajugas....

Anonymous said...

I have mucked up the system a bit - I put a comment on the entry with the blue mystery flower on, then added a PS on today's comments.... sorry!