Monday, May 21, 2007

Nails Day - Pleasant weather - Synergy

It was Y's 'nails' day at Carlton Hill this morning with the Chinese people who are in fact Vietnamese. The weather, as is customary, was pleasant even if not bright sun.

While Y was in the nails-place I did my usual tour of the charity shops and made a few purchases. One of which was the Collins Complete British Wildlife, a Photoguide. The pictures are brilliant, and cover everything from moths, through trees, to wild-flowers s0, with the 'difficult to name' blue flower in mind, I thought, for a £1, I can't afford to be without it.

Now here comes the weird bit. When we got home around 1pm I checked my e-mails and found that ManxIslander, having read about the flower identification query in my blog, left a 'comment' recommending the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide which they swear by.

Well I never ! is all one can say.

We went to our Italian Restaurant again for lunch while in Carlton and had both decided to have the scrambled egg on toast, topped with smoked salmon, again. But it was OFF. Shucks.


I thought that Iris sibirica merited a portrait all of her own after having been rather unceremoniously dumped in a 'collage' yesterday. Y has been in the garden and filling up the garden-refuse bin ready for Wednesday, and she said how easily weeds were coming out following the wet weather. Karen hasn't mowed the lawns because it hasn't been dry enough so there wasn't much in there.

My afternoon has been busy. I've contacted the RPS about 2 groups I would like to join and also had a nice welcome from the Creative Group people whose day I attended yesterday at Ravenshead. They seem my sort of folk. Also I've contacted Nottingham Castle about going to the Global Warming Exhibition tomorrow. From the Castle Gate it is a 200 yard walk up a fairly steep hill but, if you are a little disabled and ring in advance to let them know, you toot your horn on arrival and they open the big gates and you can drive right up to the Castle. So we are looking forward to that. There is a very pleasant restaurant on the ground floor so it seems like we are 'lunching out' tomorrow as well. I've also contacted a local electrician to see if the shower can be fixed. If it can, he might cast his eye over the dishwasher while he is here.

An hour with the paper, do crossword unless Y has polished it off, magazines, dib into my newly acquired books (two poetry in addition to the wildlife book), radio, - I doubt if I shall be able to cram it all in.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well Graham, just thought I'd say what a fascinating little blog. Saw it linked from the Webuser forum and came expecting another "coppersblog"
.
Particularly impressed by your shot of Venus - somebody was asking on one of the forums what it was, and a bright object in the sky is ALWAYS Venus - so I went to have a look. But with my 3x magnification and no tripod, the picture was pathetic.

Look forward to reading more of your adventures :)

Anonymous said...

http://yarnstorm.blogs.com/knitblog/

You don't have to read about the quilt, just scroll down and look at the sun-flowers - what colours! It's shades time again, Bungus.

I was going to recommend a flower identification book I have (it's taken me two days to find it...) you look up the month you are in, and there are almost life-size photographs of the plant, flowers/leaves, and where it grows. And it tells you all the months it usually flowers in. But it seems you are already suited - I have looked at that book, and it looked very useful.

Hope you are still going to be scathing about the Global Warming Expedition - us sceptics must stick together.....

Anonymous said...

Chinese people who are in fact Vietnamese, hey?. Don’t tell me you couldn’t tell them apart?


Serendipity Rules!
On Sunday a blog comment makes you aware of the Collins Complete British Wildlife Photoguide. On Monday you find a copy in a charity shop.
“What are the chances of that happening?” as Harry Hill would say.
Trust you have located the Vipers Bugloss. As a tester try finding a Black-Veined White butterfly (and mail me the result please)..
I’ll see what Amazon can do.

Iris benfits greatly from enlargement.
I am surprised to hear that your lawns are too wet to mow. I did ours on Sunday and Monday with no trouble. But we are on very sandy soil.

Expedition or exhibition, I think scepticism is important Jill, but... I cannot instantly think of a perfect analogy but seeing a bus approaching a bus stop does not mean it is advisable to step into the road in front of it. So I think it is just as important to be sceptical about the sceptics.
I shall be interested to hear the Gandy assessment.

Anonymous said...

Отличная статья! большое спасибо автору за интересный материал. Удачи в развитии!!!
http://www.miriadafilms.ru/
radiogandy.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Почему регистрация не работает ?