Saturday, April 29, 2006

Pretty Cool Day - the weather, not me

Making no apology for taking and publishing another picture of Yvonne's 'informal bed' which is a real joy. I remembered to move unsightly bamboo canes today. The ornamental grass (to the upper left of centre ) which came from Joan and grows so tall, is doing well again. It always does and has the advantage of looking elegant throughout the winter. Not an evergreen but Yvonne leaves it and cuts it down to ground level in the early spring tidy-up. In the background one can hardly see the forsythia and the keria both of which have done well, particularly if one is keen on early vibrant yellows. The plant in the foreground, in the centre, is also a good 'doer' and the foliage, attractive as it is now, matures to a rich coppery red. Neither of us can ever remember what it is called. No doubt when Joan comes over she will tell us and we can remember to try one in our new garden. Or - someone may contribute a comment to the Blog.

Talking of which - adding comments should now be possible. Bob, and maybe others, have tried hard to add comments (at my request) and found it impossible. And it has been my fault all along. When I started the Blog I left everything on Blogger's own 'default settings' which only allowed registered-users to attach comments, after copying out a security-code. The idea being to make it impossible for 'spammers' and the like. Although I've left the security-code in place, I've now changed the 'comments setting' to admit 'anyone'. If it has any untoward consequences, I'll change it back again.

There was a Car-Boot sale over on the Footie field this morning and I went over around 9am. All I bought was some food for my voracious garden birds - but I noticed how cold it was. My computer told me it was 8C and the day didn't really warm up very much. Yvonne managed an hour in the garden and I watered the tubs. They dehydrate over the winter and we have wallflowers etc., coming along that will be in bloom within a week. Particularly if we get some sun.

In Lidl the other day I discovered a tinned cold drink called Xtra Presso which comes all the way from Neckasulm, Germany. It's gorgeous. A mixture of Espresso and Milk it tastes rather like Bailey's without the alcohol - which of course suits me well. Not managed to persuade Yvonne to try it yet, but when she does she'll love it. Although it is clouding over now, at dusk, the rain has kept away and it as been fairly sunny. I hope it has been for everyone away with children for the Bank Holiday because it is so depressing trying to think of fun things to do in bad weather. Steven and family are at Alton Towers and staying in the Hotel there and I guess that the proprietors have organised things so that inclement weather doesn't completely wreck one's visit.

No comments: