Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Monday 10th April 06

Monday 10th April 06

First day of our ‘jaunt’ to Holbeach and Lincolnshire and, perhaps, Norfolk. I was up early because I wanted to be sure my laptop was working and also I had packing to finish. It was pretty cold again but a lovely blue-sky morning and my goldfinches were first up. Yesterday, at Millicent’s party, I had discussed the birds with Mark, who does know a lot about the subject, and he explained to me that chaffinches were ground-feeders anyway and that their behaviour was not in the least unusual. I must also remember that I told Steve about Miles helping me with the Steam-Engine wheels thing. Steve was real proud of his son.

Left home around 10.17pm and drove steadily and enjoyably with stops for coffee in lay-bys etc and we eventually stopped for our sandwich lunch in the village of East Heckington, just off the main A17. Pleasant enough, but it looked very a threatening sky. I do love sandwiches and thermos flasks so much and Yvonne indulges me.

We arrived at Elloe Lodge just before 1pm and Gill and Norman were absolutely charming. Norman immediately offered to make us a pot of tea and after some very preliminary unpacking we went down to the TV room and within seconds the tea-tray and biscuits arrived. Gill explained the TV remote to us – Sky, Digital, Terrestial and the whole biz. We were a little overwhelmed but if we need it it’s there. The I had a nap, and afterwards checked the laptop. As I’d imagined I couldn’t get on the net but My Pictures, Picasa, and Word were available so I can find plenty to do – AND prepare my blog each day in Word, to Publish later.

Around 5.30pm we went out for an ‘explore’ and found the Springfield Centre with a view to using the Wi-Fi there tomorrow. Had a meal in the on-site pub and it was fine. Nice sunset on our return. Springfield have, in our opinion, the most almighty cheek in that one has to pay to park one's car. It is after all only a Garden-Centre and Commercial shopping mall. The Pub (see left) was notable only for being almost completely empty, at 6.30pm. apart from 6 staff; none of whom understood what the hell I was talking about when I mentioned laptops and wi-fi. Their reaction was as if I was a creature from outer-space. Maybe I am ! It would explain a lot.

After that, a steady return to Elloe Lodge and do our own things.

No comments: