Tuesday, April 04, 2006

An action-packed day - Monday 3rd





Here, as promised, is my panorama of 'dawn over the footie-field'. Not stretched as per Manxislander's method but by taking 5 shots and letting the programme stitch them together. Not a brilliant photo but it wasn't a brilliant dawn, and I am still learning the programme. One is advised to 'lock the esposure' which I can't actually do on my trusty Casio, so I settled for locking the ISO setting which seemed the best bet. I guess this is what accounts for the extreme-right frame looking slightly lighter than the others. But, if I hadn't pointed it out, you probably wouldn't have noticed, as the prog. blended them in so seamlessly.

Lidl claimed my attention at 8am, because in their email newsletter I had noticed lots of computer stuff. I eventually settled for a pack of A4 printing-paper (50 sheets for £3.99) which I have used before and is good. A laptop-bag also took my fancy at £14 to replace the non-descript one I have been using. The new one is beautifully designed and padded, with compartments for leads and CDs etc.. Y had a follow up appointment with the nurse and her blood-pressure is very high. Further tablets prescribed and another follow-up in 2 months. She feels she will be better when the house-move is sorted, and I can understand that.

After odd jobs in Eastwood, and Matalan, we went to the White Hart at Arnold for lunch. Best summed up by '£6 for a £3 meal'. How one can conspire to produce a tough chicken-fillet defeats me but somebody managed it. Then we had a mooch round Arnold and discovered that Monday wasn't market-day as we thought. Tea and a cake in Birds went along way towards making up for lunch.

Within minutes of arriving home around 4pm Beryl rang. She had "fallen and banged her head" she said. When we arrived we found an ugly gash at the back of her head almost 3 inches long. Yvonne was brilliant and cleaned her up and comforted her and we decided she needed stitching. So we took here to Heanor where they have a minor casualty department. Beryl was seen straight away (what a contrast to QMC) and they were great. The wound was glued together rather than stitched but she remained confused - alternating between clarity (i.e. d.o.b and postcode etc) and being mixed up. At one stage she thought she was back in QMC. As I thought at the time she isn't really well enough to have been discharged to her own home, alone. But the sister at Heanor made arrangements for her to be reassessed tomorrow by 'Intermediate Care' people. Then we took her home. Yvonne rang Beryl's cousin Kath who, somewhat reluctantly, came over and took Beryl back with them to her home for the night as the nursing-sister had stressed that she shouldn't be left alone. Yvonne had to get a little 'cross' which, considering her blood-pressure wasn't a good idea. But she coped magnificently and all I had to do was act as ambulance driver.

Come 9pm I started to get ready for bed I was so whacked and decided I couldn't deal with my blog. It is possible to change the apparent publication time/date to yesterday but that seems to me to be counterproductive. Leaving it 'as is' provides one with a more accurate record. I read 'Riverbend's' blog 'Baghdad Burning' which has won awards. It is the day-to-day diary of a young Iraqi lady and a much more compelling account than the media coverage. I dealt with a few emails and listened to the radio for a while but I guess I was asleep by 10.15pm.

No comments: