Friday, April 14, 2006

A better day - Anemones out



Altogether a better day. That frightening wind has dropped and, just now checking the evening temperature, find that it is 13c. On the Air-Ministry roof, as they used to say.

I think now it is actually on top of the Radio Nottingham building, because the Watnall Weather Centre has also closed.

In the papers this morning the 'worst drought for a hundred years' is forecast. If they nowadays blame global-warming I wonder what they blamed a century ago. My own view is that it is all part of the natural cycle of events on Planet Earth ranging anywhere between ice-ages to periods of extreme heat. Does it really matter if a few lawns shrivel up and we have to go in more for geraniums and things. Mind you I would be peeved if I was in a hose-pipe ban area and saw golf-courses being liberally watered. I'm not sure if I have any golf-enthusiast readers in East Grinstead. If I have I'm sorry but I won't yield the point.

It was a pleasure to see the anemones looking so perky this morning and I thought the above three would be pleasant across the top of the Blog. My trusty Casio doesn't really do justice to the colours but they look nice anyway. At the risk of sounding 'IT obsessed' , which a loyal reader accuses me of, I must mention my broadband upgrade at NTL to 2mb. The speed went up a bit but it 'boggered' things up in general. Picasa, toolbars, siteadvisor' to name but a few. Anyway, things back now. Just Gremlins, Ray says. Hope he doesn't get any with his new digital TV which looks and sounds great from his description.

The neighbours burglar-alarm went off about half an hour ago. I went and disarmed it, mainly to get rid of the noise, and Yvonne has put a note through Peter's door - house on the other side. Their alarm only ever goes off when they are away because when they are here, with having a dog, they never set it even at night.

My ankles have gone down quite a lot because apart from nipping out shopping this morning I've been lying down again. Got to be in good shape tomorrow over at Tracy's because there will be all the children to amuse and it's quite a while since I've seen Ruby and Elli. Not responsible for the cooking though because there will be loads of people and my upper limit these days is 6 or maybe 8 if a couple of kids are involved. Long gone are the days when we used to entertain 50.

No comments: