Sunday, November 05, 2006

Whitewater Rafting Day.

I make no apology for this picture because it has worked out really well. Complete serendipity! As yesterday's sunset looked promising I drove round the corner to Hall Lane which I guessed would be a good location. It was fast becoming a low-light job so I steadied the camera on the roof of the car, rather than set up my birthday-tripod. The reflections are on the car-roof and I just wasn't aware of them until I checked what I'd got in the LCD screen. There was no water anywhere closer than a mile or so away. I having given the photograph the working-title "Sunset over Lake Civic" which I hope folks will work out.

Anyway - much more important. The Whitewater Rafting. We went to Tracy's so we could follow her to Home Pierrepont. Everybody arrived on time at The National Water Sports Centre and the weather was fine, if a little cold due to a strong breeze. The water was cold but everyone had swimsuits under and wetsuits on top, and safety helmets. I took loads of shots some of which are A1 and I lent Sky my Casio compact and hers are quite exceptional for a 7yr old. It took her all of 45seconds to grasp how to operate it in 'take' mode and then how to change to 'playback' mode. It is hard to select a picture to sum things up but this one shows everybody happy except that David has a dangly barber's pole obscuring his face. Nevermind further photos will follow over the next few days, and we will show him with his normal handsome cheery face.

Yvonne (in the yellow helmet) was fantastic. She absolutely loved it and at the end she was as calm & collected as when she started. And that was after three runs. The practice was to carry the raft back to the start each time and on the last run down the course they capsized and Yvonne finished up under the overturned raft. They had had tuition and been told what to do so she kept her head and made her way to the side when the raft-guide pulled her onto the bottom, which was then the top. Joan's Chris wasn't so lucky and he had to pulled down the watercourse on his back by two of the professionals. There was no real risk because everyone had life-jackets but nevertheless it was real scary.

Y loved every minute of it and I was so proud of her. She has wanted to to it for so long and it finally happened. And the way it turned into a proper family occasion was a bonus. Sky's photographs were so good I've e-mailed them all (49 frames) to her via Web-Albmus, so she can edit them herself. They are her pictures after all.

Stopping now because it's nearly 8pm and I fancy abit of telly. Also, I'm whacked, even if no-one else is !!

Byee......................


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing sunset photo. No more like the roof of a car than a potato field (that's reds of course).

Pleased the rafting was a success.

Anonymous said...

I take it you did not participate? Wise chap! Sounds perfectly awful to me.....but well done, Yvonne. What is she going to do for her eightieth - hang-gliding?