Saturday, November 18, 2006

Party Day - Some Ducks

The last Bridge & Tram shot. Well, for while anyway.

If I could manage to catch a tram, a train, the bridge and a Skoda Octavia going across the crossing.........

Not possible really because the lights would be against it. Sensibly enough. I mention the Skoda Octavia because I've just seen their latest top-of-the-range model in what looked suspiciously like British Racing Green. Wow ! I've seen worse looking Bentleys, and lots of worse looking BMWs over the years. Shows you what the link with Volkswagen and top designers has achieved.

Picture 2 is a duck-shot for my bird-lover readers. Amusing story the other day - 'twitchers' had descended on a remote location to see a red-rumped something or other and as soon as their gadgets and things were focussed, a sparrow-hawk stooped and ate it. Nature still has a sense of humour.

We have finished most of the preparations for this evening's thrash. All we needed to shop for this morning was fresh french-bread, a few nuts and cream for the cheese-cake. I know, I know ........ And some Somerset Brie which we actually prefer to the French version - better flavour and goes runny quicker. I went for an afternoon nap and when I got up Y had arranged the furniture in a most satisfactory manner. So, a few things to pop in the oven, a few things to slice and lay out and we can watch Strictly Come Dancing. Saturday evening is the big day and one reader asked if it's on every night? There is a half-hour show each evening - a sort of update - presented by the delightful Claudia Winkelman. Y says she wears lovely shoes. But I like her hair. Not over lacquered (like so many) and it swishes about when she moves her head. I am becoming a stupid old man aren't I ? But at least Y says I'm not 'leery' which is praise indeed.

Y consulted her journal to see when we lasted hosted 'the neighbours' and it was around this time 2 years ago and they stayed till 2.30am. Ah well......... I seem to remember that Peter & Sheila did the last one. (it was very touching that when we took the house off the market, Sheila was delighted and said she had got us for another few months at least). Bill & Maureen customarily do New Year's Eve, but we've been committed to Tracy's. However, TJ has decided not to do it this year, so we will be able to go 3 houses up the road.

Catch you tomorrow..................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was some sort of swallow, wasn't it, that the sparrow=hawk had for lunch? It's like that (!apocryphal) story of the fire brigade resuing a cat from a tree, only to run it over as they left.....

We're X-factor in this house - but I see bits of Strictly dancing sometimes and Y is spot-on with the shoes.

Sounds like you have the makings of a good 'do' tonight....

Anonymous said...

Amazing! 3 things upon which I agree with you today (yesterday wot woz).
1) improved Skoda
2) sparrowhawk with a Jack Benny sense of humour and timing
3) join the club.

Everybody, inc Jill, will already know that I too belong to the X Factory. Winkleman strikes me as a creepily obscene sort of name; perhaps she should change it to something more user=friendly like Molester (pronounced to rhyme with holster)