Thursday, November 23, 2006

BJ Day - Ikea bookcase - EPS night

I am not the world's tidiest man, nor the most untidy. In the field-events I guess I'm a middle-distance runner.

Picture 1, taken while sitting on my bed, shows the mess I have got into with reference books and stuff that I need frequently. I realised that a solution was necessary. Hence the trip to Ikea and the purchase of a new bookshelf. Inevitably it came as a flat-pack and it has taken me most of the day to construct. Also inevitably, when I had proudly finished it, I realised that the crucial bottom shelf was in the wrong way and showing its rough fibre-board edge to the world instead of its veneered face. The whole thing had to be deconstructed and then put back together again. The cardboard box said the whole item was called Billy. It's quite nice having furniture one can be on first-name terms with.

Picture 2 is the completed job and I put a book in it to show scale. The position shown is not where it is going to live, but I constructed the thing on the big-room floor because there is plenty of space. Of course I had 4 nails left over - always a worry. I hope I don't discover where the designer intended them to go in the middle of the night when reaching for a book.

So the disarray depicted in Picture 1 will soon be a thing of the past. Maybe !

A further slight holdup was caused by a spontaneous visit by Brian who needed someone to talk to. He has had to put his Mum in a Home and clear her house and deal with unhelpful and incompetent officialdom. He was welcome. He helped me so much computerwise in my early days that I certainly owe him one, or two. We talked cameras and computers a bit which gave his brain something different to chew on. Elderly parents are a problem that comes to us all, and I suppose it will come to our kids eventually.

The Amazon books have arrived. It's a brilliant system - it seems about 10 minutes since we ordered them. Also, Alex called and all the 'rear of the garage' problems which have been worrying Y are no problem to Alex. He can deal with the fence, the conifers, the tatty rear window, the junk etc., and he says he won't need a skip. A couple of trips with his trusty trailer.

Next job is to put a tape in for Strictlt..... then collect Y from the tram. We've decided on Moor Bridge instead of Phoenix Park in the hope that the road-traffic will be less congested. Then Camera Club. Not had a comment from Jill for some days and I hope she hasn't got this wretched cough/cold/flu that is prevalent. Maybe she's nipped off to the Carribean or somewhere.

More tomorrow.....................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have commented each day for last two days - but just checked, and they are not there.......No idea what I said, except that I detest Bruce Forsyth, he is just not funny and never knows when to shut up. Oh, and I spoke about the £1.99 lunch we have at our nearest huge Tesca superstore - that's includes fish and chips, two pieces of bread and butter and a mug of tea....

We have two Billy book-cases - but the six foot high ones, and we still have piles of books on the floor......

Anonymous said...

I am pleased that Jill shares my opinion of Brucie.
Perhaps her problem with comments is the same as mine, ie the Word Verification is not being recognised. I have to check and rechack that my submissions have been accepted.

Compared with me, and judging from your photo, you ARE the world's tidiest man. I am sure Sandra would concur. I have always thought you to be the second most meticulous and organised man that I know.
But you have reminded me that I must consult my pine man.

I share your admiration for Amazon. My first order arrived within days. My only other one, placed at the same time, was for books just published, and they took a few weeks longer. But they did advise, correctly, about delivery dates, and amendments to same. And they were about half the price quoted in the Observer reviews, including postage. My only concern is that eventually there will be no bookshops because people will only browse them before purchasing online.