Friday, November 24, 2006

Wet Rest Day - Shopping - Tidying

Although there is a slight risk of the 'reds' causing Bungus to have a spasm, I wanted to share the picture. The plant is Cotoneaster horizontalis and the bit shown is about a tenth of the whole, on the A610 Kimberley ByPass. It has gone completely 'feral' and I've never seen such a bed of it. Must be global-warming !

The gremlins have been at work again. Yesterday Y bought me 2 replacement pyjama-cords from the old-fashioned haberdashers in Eastwood, having been unable to track any down in Nottingham. My view is that, if Marks & Spencers and John Lewis sell pyjamas with cords, they have a moral responsibilty to sell spares for them. But they obviously don't agree. When we got home we couldn't find them anywhere. I found them this morning; the OAG had put them in my camera-bag ! There must have been a logic.

Picture 2 is simply to show the helpful effects of Billy on my room. It isn't my intention to start to publish bedroom scenes so you can all relax. If some of the books look a little beat-up it is because they are. For instance I still use my Aunty Tot's 'Concise Oxford' circa 1922 - it seems quite the equal of the 2006 edition, and it's surprising how little has changed . Most of the definitions are word-for-word the same as our more current household one. We are well-blessed with dictionaries because as one of my retirement gifts I asked for the Times Atlas and The Shorter Oxford as an alternative to the customary whisky decanter and glasses. I still have, and use, my original Penguin Quotations Dictionary which is now heavily annotated and held together with an elastic band. It cost me 10s 6d, a considerable sum in those days.

The Camera Club was good again and there were many echos of support for my idea of an 'un-photoshopped society'. Everyone agreed with my point that in 200 years historians won't have a clue as to what we looked like, how we lived, or even how our landscapes and skies appeared to us. I accept the point that it has always gone on, in one form or another. But we have some place-mats with Nottingham scenes that really do show what the place was like.

A relief to have Jill back. And I'm glad she hadn't a cold or anything. Bungus has pointed out the difficulty with the 'word verification' function in the 'comment' system. But, of course, I don't leave comments on my own Blog. I suppose, having thought about it, it would make sense to 'comment' on a 'comment' rather than use the following days blog for any reply I may care to make.

p.s. to Ikea trip. I was charmed to be told that the paper-napkins were now on Condiment Island. It sounds like a nice place where I wouldn't mind living!!

Tarrah............................

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re pyjama cords in camera bag: could there have been some concern about over exposure?

re Aunty Tot's 'Concise Oxford' circa 1922: I occasionally refer to my Great Aunty Emmy’s ‘Brewster’s’ presented to her as Head Girl of Queen Elizabeth’s Grammar School for Girls, Mansfield in 1890something and I also have several antique dictionaries including an ecclesiastical one (also Aunt Emmy’s; she was a missionary in India).

“… place-mats with Nottingham scenes that really do show what the place was like.” How can you be sure? How do you know that no one removed the TV aerials?
That said, I agree with you absolutely, in principle.

Snap! I have just made the point that Jill’s problems may be down to dodgy Word Verification. It is an irritation, but a minor one, having to post every comment twice.

”Condiment Island”? No doubt its inhabitants are the salt of the earth?